President / Présidente/président
|Company||Birds Canada / Oiseaux Canada|
|Location||Port Rowan Or Mutually Agreed Location|
|Job Details||View attachment|
|THE ORGANIZATION |
Birds Canada is the leading authority on birds in Canada. As a national, non-profit, charitable organization, it is built on a longstanding foundation of scientific research and the enthusiastic contributions of thousands of caring members and volunteer Citizen Scientists. Our mission is to conserve wild birds through sound science, on-the-ground actions, innovative partnerships, public engagement, and science-based advocacy. Data (observations) collected through migratory tracking and Citizen Scientists, alongside targeted research projects, are used to identify significant bird population changes and help direct conservation action.
Our national headquarters is located in Port Rowan, Ontario, connected to the historic Long Point Bird Observatory, with regional offices from coast to coast. The President has traditionally been located at headquarters but other locations across Canada are possible.
Birds Canada is seeking a visionary leader who can provide overall strategic and operational leadership for the organization and realize expansion opportunities to make a significant impact in applied conservation for birds. The President will provide advice to the Board and direct the staff in all aspects of the organization’s work.
As the leading Canadian expert in bird science, Birds Canada is poised to play a pivotal role in the road to recovery for bird species and populations both in Canada and more broadly in the Americas.
The President serves as an advocate and effective spokesperson for Birds Canada through a wide range of media and in a wide range of fora, at national and international levels.
For more information on the role, please click Apply Now!
|Education Requirements||A graduate degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience.|
|Experience||• Demonstrated leadership, preferably in the non-profit sector, with experience in operational management, fundraising, and financial acumen.|
• Experience in or an understanding of science-based conservation or some combination of relevant experience in research, stewardship, policy, environmental, or sustainability.
• Results oriented with ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Strategic planning and organizational development to meet long-term goals.
• Track record of developing and engaging in partnerships with a variety of organizations including government, industry, other non-government organizations, and universities.
• Fundraising and revenue experience, including relationship building for developing a network of funding support, creativity in securing funds including through contracts and other restricted funding, and managing a team to effectively raise funds.
• Knowledgeable about the mission and major programs of Birds Canada.
• Knowledgeable about current bird conservation priorities, policies, and programs in relation to social, cultural, economic, and political issues, particularly in Canada, but with a view to the United States and the wider Western Hemisphere.
• Experience networking nationally and/or internationally in the conservation/environment sector would be an asset.
• History of engaging productively with a Board of Directors, preferably in the non-governmental sector.
• Applied management of human resources, including long-term planning, team building, and conflict resolution.
• Business acumen and demonstrated skill in communications and management.
|Languages||Fluency in both official languages is a significant asset.|
|How To Apply||Please submit your application by end of day January 18th, 2021, by emailing your cover letter and résumé to: BirdsCanada@searchlightpartnersgroup.com|
Birds Canada is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We strongly support and value diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank applicants for their interest, however; only those advancing in the process will be contacted.