Medical Affairs Lead, Oncology
|Company||Eli Lilly Canada|
|Job Category||Health Care|
|Eli Lilly Canada is currently searching for a capable Medical Affairs Leader/Research Scientist for our Oncology Team|
At Lilly, we’re, inspired to make a difference in people’s lives every day – through the discovery of life-changing medicines, better understanding of disease management and support for people living with illness and their families and friends.
Our work today – from our research programs to our volunteer initiatives – is a reflection of our heritage of uniting caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world.
We are committed to investing in our employees – through competitive salaries, training and development, health, and the opportunity to make life better. The pharmaceutical industry is a complex, rapidly changing environment and we are looking for highly capable people to help us accomplish our mission!
A. ONCOLOGY MEDICAL AFFAIRS LEADER
The Oncology Medical Affairs Leader is responsible for effective and compliant implementation of the Medical Liaison and Medical Education program within the current Oncology therapeutic area. He/she has direct supervisory responsibility for a team of field based Medical Liaisons and Medical Education Associate who represent a specific regional area, therapeutic area component, or other segment of the overall Medical Affairs program. The Medical Affairs Manager is responsible for managing the performance and development of the members of their team, overseeing the compliance, quality and effectiveness of field operations, and implementing strategic plans to optimize the team's performance. The Medical Affairs Manager is also responsible for establishing and maintaining effective communication and partnerships with field medical and internal colleagues to leverage the team's expertise to appropriately support strategic objectives and initiatives.
The core responsibilities of this component include:
Effective People Management and Development
* Recruits for staff positions to meet business needs while leveraging diverse global talent pool.
* Supervises direct reports and facilitate performance management, personnel development, and career development through frequent 1:1 interactions, coaching, field visits and transparent feedback.
* Participates and represents staff in succession planning activities, talent assessment, merit pay, promotion processes, and reward and recognition activities to retain and motivate staff.
* Ensures staff compliance with Lilly Corporate, Medical, Regulatory and other standards, procedures, and other internal and external business and compliance requirements, including training requirements.
* Oversees the development and implementation of the required training for new and existing staff, reflecting scientific content skills needed for successful Scientific Expert interactions and functional expertise.
* Creates a culture of accountability, excellence, and integrity.
Manage Field Operations – Maximizing Operational Effectiveness and Team Performance
* Oversees geographical management and MSL and MEA commitment and effectiveness in developing and maintaining relationships with Scientific Experts (SE) and other external customers.
* Ensures team compliance with applicable laws, local guidelines and Lilly policies and procedures
* Deploys necessary tools, processes and other resources to enable successful field activities
* Creates and executes strategic plans to optimize team performance
* Identifies, develops and implements specific initiatives to enhance the team’s medical expertise, improve team dynamics, boost efficiency and achieve overall objectives
* Ensures close collaboration and alignment with the Sr. Medical Director and other local and global medical colleagues.
Establish and Maintain Effective Communication and Partnerships
* Participates as an active member of brand team and partners effectively with other cross-functional teams.
* Establishes and maintains effective communication and partnerships with field medical and internal colleagues to leverage team’s expertise to appropriately support strategic objectives and initiatives
* Oversees collection and communication of scientific intelligence, clinical insights and other field input to better inform decision making by internal partners.
* Collaborates with functional capabilities leader, operations manager and other members of Medical leadership team to share best practices.
* Builds and maintains long-term relationships with key internal and external business partners, supporting and driving organizational change and learning, anticipating future trends/needs, implementing sourcing strategies, strengthening current and future capabilities/tools/technology.
* Develops synergies with local, regional and global partners.
Customer and Business Planning
* Partners with cross functional and medical partners to align strategies and priorities as part of planning process
* Collaborates to ensure appropriate resources are obtained for team activities and operational needs,
* Oversees medical brand budget in conjunction with the Operations Manager and Sr. Medical Director
Other Medical Activities
* Special Projects as needed
ONCOLOGY RESEARCH SCIENTIST COMPONENT
Through the application of scientific and clinical training and expertise, the Oncology Research Scientist is an integral component of the medical affairs, development or a business unit brand team for strategic planning in the support of clinical research and other activities to meet patients' needs and ultimately enhance the customers' (patients, HCPs and payers) experience in interacting with the company.
The core responsibilities of this component include:
Business/ customer support (pre and post launch support): Understand, anticipate, and support the scientific information needs of all local/regional customers (payers, patients, health care providers) including PRA needs.
Clinical Planning: Communicate and collaborate with Medical Leadership as needed to ensure life cycle plans for drugs in development and represent the clinical needs of the country/region in the development of clinical strategies, development plans and study protocol design.
Clinical Research/Trial Execution and Support: Collaborate with local/global clinical research staff in the conduct of local clinical trials, including investigator identification and selection, and review and approval of local informed consent documents and risk profiles to ensure appropriate communication of risk to study subjects, and serve as resource to clinical research site monitors, investigators and ethical review boards to address any questions or clarify issues arising during the conduct of study; Review lIT proposals and publications, as requested.
Regulatory Support Activities: Participate in development and review of local labeling and labeling modifications in collaboration with global Development, brand teams, regulatory, and legal. Demonstrate deep knowledge of local label. Provide medical expertise to regulatory scientists. Participate in risk management planning.
Scientific /Technical Expertise and continued development: Be aware of current trends and projections for clinical practice and access in the therapeutic area(s) relevant to the product; Act as scientific consultant and protocol expert for clinical study team members and others in medical; Work on scientific data dissemination/exchange.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* Advanced degree in health sciences (PhD, MD, Pharm D) with 2-3 years of relevant clinical or therapeutic experience in oncology/hematology preferred
* OR MSc in health care/professional designation (BScN, PT, RD etc.) considered if 5 or more years of relevant clinical experience in oncology/hematology
* Preference given to individuals meeting the above with previous MSL or MEA experience in the field of oncology/hematology and sound knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry
* Intellectual curiosity and intelligence about the field of oncology/hematology
* Ability to critically appraise scientific information/literature
* Strong presentation skills including the ability to comprehend large amounts of scientific content which is then communicated in a clear, concise fashion
* Demonstrated ability to build strong/collaborative peer-to-peer relationships with external customers
* Familiarity with the academic community and medical research
* Significant direct experience in servicing customer needs for complex information
* Experience in professional networking with positive mutually beneficial outcomes
* Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills including an ability to work effectively with internal colleagues, cross-functional team members, and external partners (co-promotions with other companies)
* Strong project management skills with an ability to work within teams to prioritize key projects and medical tactics
* Previous Medical Science Liaison experience in other fields
* Significant clinical or research work in the area of oncology/hematology
* Existing relationships with Scientific Experts in the field of oncology/hematology, especially breast, lung and thyroid cancers.
Located in Ontario
Eli Lilly Canada is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from qualified women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
|Start Date||As soon as possible|
|How To Apply||Please click Apply Now!|