Research Associate - RAMP
|1. In conjunction with the Research Chair and other team members, contribute to development of research objectives, scope projects, and write project/grant proposals in an applied and partner-driven framework.|
2. Work within project timelines to ensure project progress.
3. Provide training, supervision and mentorship to student research assistants and technologists.
4. Collaborate with research team members to choose research methods and experimental approaches.
5. Under minimal guidance, conduct design and manufacturing tasks utilizing methodologies suitable to the research question. These tasks may include identifying customer needs and key product specifications, concept generation and selection, modelling, strength and materials analysis and selection, computer numerical control generation, prototype fabrication, and integration of electronic systems as needed.
6. Assess, interpret, and evaluate outcomes of research.
7. Actively participate in meetings with partner organizations and industry clients, and act as primary point of contact when delegated.
8. Contribute to preparation of reports of completed projects for partners, publication in technical journals, community presentations, or other knowledge mobilization activities.
9. Collaborate with internal and external contacts such as educational, funding, and research bodies.
10. Implement safety protocols related to the area of research.
11. Contribute to creating a positive, diverse, and inclusive work and learning environment.
|Education Requirements||A Diploma in a relevant field (such as Design and Manufacturing Engineering Technology) or a comparable amount of education and experience. A Baccalaureate and/or Master's degree in a related discipline is considered an asset, and/or a technical specialty that complements the existing skill set in the team.|
Must be proficient in Computer Assisted Design (CAD), Computer Assisted Manufacturing (CAM), surface and solid modelling, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), and Computer Numerical Control (CNC). Experience with Inventor and Mastercam is preferred. Experience must include operating multiple CNC equipment such as a 3D printer, 5-axis mill, robot welder, and a waterjet or laser cutter.
|Essential Skills||Must have experience integrating an embedded electronic system with a mechanical system. Programming experience in C or Python is preferred. Embedded electronic systems design experience is considered an asset.|
Demonstrated technical foundation in research methods, including skills in data analysis, interpretation, and reporting.
Ability to provide technical assistance to others in laboratory settings
Effective and creative problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
|Experience||Preferred, minimum five years' work experience in a technical, research and/or project management role. Applied research experience is considered an asset.|
|How To Apply||Click "Apply Now"|