Should the successful applicant be a Unifor Unit 1 bargaining unit member, who meets the eligibility conditions of Article 19.02 of the Unifor Unit 1 Collective Agreement, then the Limited Term Assignment will be defined as a Career Growth Opportunity in accordance with Article 19 of the Unifor Local 5555 Unit 1 Collective Agreement.
Accounting Assistant (II)
|Reporting to the Clinic Director of Stonechurch Family Health Centre, and liasing closley with the Manager of Finance for the Department of Family Medicine,as part of a busy accounting , finance and billing team, the Accounting Assistant (II) will provide support for numerous financial transactions as well as assistingwith OHIP billing for McMaster Family Practice , the Maternity Centre the McMaster Downtown Ambulatory Care Centre and the Department of Family Medicine.
Responsible for applying a thorough knowledge and understanding of accounting policies and procedures to process financial transactions. Records, classifies and summarizes accounting data according to established procedures. Ensures accuracy and compliance with existing guidelines, policies, and procedures. Provides guidance and training to staff on proper accounting procedures and the use of financial systems.
Purpose and Key Functions:
- Perform various analyses and reconciliations of accounts.
- Provide training and guidance to others on relevant accounting procedures and the use of financial systems.
- Generate reports and account statements and review for accuracy.
- Calculate, prepare and issue invoices, cheques, account statements and other financial statements according to established procedures.
- Receive, send, sort, verify, process and prepare various documents such as purchase orders, invoices, cheque requisitions, receivables, and payables.
- Process, verify, and balance financial records and business transactions, such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Investigate discrepancies using established procedures.
- Assist with internal and external audits by providing backup documentation related to audit items.
- Monitor and reconcile statements and participate in the reconciliation of accounts.
- Prepare and generate a variety of scheduled and ad hoc reports.
- Update, maintain, and verify information in a variety of spreadsheets and databases.
- Balance and control cash receipts, including floats, petty cash and cheques.
- Write a variety of formal notes and records using form letters and templates.
- Apply standard mathematical skills such as calculations, formulas, and equations to perform routine calculations.
- Answer inquiries via telephone, email, and in person that are specific in nature.
- Maintain filing systems, both electronic and hard copy.
2 year Community College diploma in Accounting or a related field of study.
Requires 3 years of relevant experience.
This position requires an individual capable of handling a diverse workload in a busy environment, able to meet multiple and simultaneous
deadlines, and perform equally well individually and as part of a team.
Additional requirements include:
- Previous experience working with healthcare/clinical environment;
- Experience with statistical, financial and database reporting;
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills;
- Good analytical and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated experience working with computer software applications including Excel, Word, Exchange/Outlook, Adobe, web applications, MOSAIC, and ORACLE;
- Familiarity with OSCAR EMR
Flexibility in schedule is necessary as occassional work may be required during early mornings or evenings. Preference will be given to candidates who embody our values: Honouring and respecting ourselves and others, practicing creativity and courageous inquiry and action, and engaging one another with generous recognition of our interdependence.
The Accountanting Assistant II shares responsibility for modelling and supporting policies and practices that are aligned with DFM’s commitment to truth and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples, to addressing the harms of racism experienced by Black and racialized communities and to creating and sustaining an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace for all.
For more information, visit McMaster University for ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (II)