Should the successful applicant be a Unifor Unit 1 bargaining unit member, who meets the eligibility conditions of Article 19.02 of the Unifor Unit 1 Collective Agreement, then the Limited Term Assignment will be defined as a Career Growth Opportunity in accordance with Article 19 of the Unifor Local 5555 Unit 1 Collective Agreement.
The lead developer is responsible for providing the back-end and/or full-stack technical expertise needed to develop and maintain apps and websites. Plans, consults, coordinates, and undertakes complex project assignments in the design, development, and implementation of applications software. Works as part of a project team to implement complex technical solutions.
Purpose and Key Functions:
• Construct complex application software code that integrates various systems.
• Develop new application software specifications that encompass functional, programming, and system process flows.
• Complete the technical design, detailed specifications, programming system components, and system and integration testing for new applications.
• Write complex programs using various computing and scripting languages.
• Debug computer program code.
• Develop and modify interfaces for existing applications and systems while maintaining the integrity of data and processes.
• Work with and understand complex data models and databases for the most effective and efficient organization of data based on processing requirements.
• Manage work assignments of internal staff and schedule and monitor adherence to procedures, protocols, and standards.
• Act as an on-site project manager responsible for managing projects from inception to completion.
• Plan and establish project framework and identify project milestones to ensure the project is completed according to project specifications and within specified timelines.
• Accountable for the clarification, rationalization and documentation of project requests.
• Approve production migrations according to project involvement.
• Partner with the Project Team to maintain the information technology issues database, create new issues and track the status of open issues.
• Responsible for integration and release management.
• Solve diverse and unusual problems by analyzing information where considerable interpretation of processes is required.
• Ensure the detailed client specifications for all system components are valid and meet a defined set of requirements.
• Act as a mentor to junior staff in the technical implementation aspects of projects.
• Estimate and plan project timelines and deliverables and adjust to unplanned changes and the impact on project schedules and resources.
• Contribute to project management documents for tracking project steps and process flow.
• Coordinate various tasks, resources, and people required to carry out problem solutions including the identification and sequencing of database administrator functions and setting security authorizations.
• Gather information from customers to determine business, auditing, and system requirements.
• Contribute to the review, development, and modification of best practices and technical solutions.
• Communicate project, issue, and system status to project leads and managers.
• Perform load and stress testing to anticipate the impact of application usage on the production service environment.
• Complete calculations used to estimate various capacity requirements such as database size.
• Develop time and cost estimates for project assignments.
• Work cooperatively with others to effectively determine information and understand business requirements of a complex nature.
• Deliver presentations to team members as it relates to project work.
• Exchange technical information with colleagues during the application development process.
• Explain and exchange technical concepts and information to clients in a non-technical manner to ensure that the customer comprehends the issue.
• Interpret complicated technical program specification documents, translate, and develop into application code.
• Take ownership of technical issues by identifying underlying problems, analyzing potential solutions and implementing system resolutions, including workarounds.
• Participate in all phases of testing including, but not limited to, system, integration, acceptance, regression, and performance.
• Manage defects identified during all phases of a project.
• Resolve problems in the test, production implementation, and post-implementation phases in coordination with other technical and business groups.
• Communicate testing results to others.
• Maintain information technology process flow, methodology, and control documentation.
• Remain current with relevant development and project methodologies.
• Remain current with frequent updates and changes to technology.
• Work with project leads and managers to prioritize and schedule issues resolution.
• Remain current with security policies and procedures and work with System Administrators to implement security changes.
• Facilitate effective dialog between technical staff.
• Follow a test script and document defects.
• Acquire and maintain a basic understanding of Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing principles.
• Provide recommendations to supervisor.
• Perform a range of varied work activities in a variety of structured environments.
• Understand and use appropriate methods, tools, and applications to complete work tasks.
• Demonstrate a rational and organized approach to work and identify development opportunities.
• Plan, schedule, and monitor own work within short time horizons.
• Organize time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way.
Supervision: Supervise and direct the activities of 1 to 4 employees.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business, or a related field of study. Applicants without a degree will also be considered.
Requires 5 years of relevant experience, including one year of supervisory experience.
The preferred candidate will have:
• At least 5 years of experience working as a back-end or full-stack developer
• Strong technical and problem-solving skills
• Strong communication skills and a readiness to work in a collaborative, team-based environment
Not sure if you qualify? Think about applying anyway:
We understand that not everyone brings 100% of the skills and experience for the role. Whether you are new, returning to work after a gap in employment, or looking to transition and take the next step in your career, we are excited to learn more about you and encourage you to apply.
For more information, visit McMaster University for LEAD DEVELOPER