Daytime Support Worker - Men's Transition House
|Company||Native Child And Family Services Of Toronto|
|Job Category||Service Sector|
|Native Child and Family Services of Toronto is an Aboriginal, community controlled multi-service agency. Our mission is to provide support, ensure safety and enhance the quality of life for Aboriginal families, children, and youth within the greater Toronto area. Our agency works within a holistic framework, which builds on individual and family strengths, and engages clients as partners in identifying issues and their solutions.|
Classification: Contract Fulltime (1 year)
Hours: 35 hrs/wk. (8:00am-4:00pm.)
Rate: $21.78 – $35.52
Location: Men’s Transition House
NCFST is committed to staffing a workforce representative of the Aboriginal population we serve. We encourage First Nation, Metis and Inuit applicants to apply and please self-identify in their cover letter.
Under the direction of the Supervisor of Transitional Housing, the Daytime Support Worker will:
• Provide a safe and secure setting by maintaining rules and expectations of the home.
• Provide supervision, support, and education to residents and their children, particularly around life skills and parenting development.
• Assist residents on an individual basis with their goal setting and provide ongoing support to each resident in reaching their goals.
• Provide individual support such as crisis intervention, dispute resolution etc.
• Provide group activities (circles) and other programming.
• Provide support drives and accompany residents to appointments as needed.
• Address individual cultural needs of the residents.
• Ensure residents are provided with the appropriate referrals for counselling, groups, classes etc.
• Ensure that equipment, inventory, and supplies are maintained and protected.
• Provide written and verbal assessments on the resident’s readiness to participate in programs and activities.
• Provide support to house case manager regarding information, referrals, and follow-up services to residents.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date case files according to specified timelines and provide written reports.
• Maintain food inventory, complete bulk food ordering and grocery shopping.
• Represent Native Child and Family Services of Toronto at community level.
What we are looking for:
• Post-Secondary education in the human services field (BSW, CYC, SSW). A combination of some education in a related field and experience in working within the shelter/transitional housing sector will also be considered.
• Minimum of one (1) year direct experience in the social work field, preferably in a transitional/group home environment.
• Pass a police record check (Vulnerable Sector)
• Current CPR and First-Aid certificate or willing to complete prior to commencement of employment.
• Knowledge of the resources available for Aboriginal peoples with respect to issues such as homelessness, addictions, and mental health.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; organizational skills; initiative, and respect for confidentiality.
• A valid (G) Driver’s License would be an asset.
• Demonstrated understanding, and commitment to, integrating the Native Child and Family Services of Toronto Mission and values into practice, service, and relationships.
• Demonstrated understanding of workplace Health and Safety practices and understanding of an employee’s responsibility under current legislation.
• Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, to maintain effective communication and working relationships, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills, tact, sensitivity and build strong internal relationships.
|Salary||$21.78 – $35.52 An Hour|
|How To Apply||Click Apply Now!|
If you are interested in this job opportunity, please apply by clicking on link provided on or before
April 29, 2021
We are committed to providing a barrier-free work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for
Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, NCFST will make
accommodations available to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.