Highlights of the job
We are hiring a full-time permanent Technical Training Advisor to join the Learning and Development, Technical Training (TT) Drainage team position currently based out of our Coronation location in Edmonton, AB.Â
If you are a technical training expert with a passion for working closely with the business to exceed their goals and objectives by designing, developing and implementing exceptional training and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with high volume, variety and multi-tasking we have the perfect opportunity for you!
In the Technical Training Advisor role, you are accountable for the design, development, and implementation of technical training curriculum. A key function of this position is providing guidance and facilitation, using project management skills in order to build consensus on the content and/or delivery of learning products.
We are accepting applications fromÂ current EPCOR Employees and external applicants at this time.
What you'd be responsible for
As part of the Drainage Technical Training team, the Advisor creates learning, curriculum and development solutions that meet or exceed clients' needs by maintaining a business focus, using adult learning philosophies, involving subject matter experts, and using best practices in instructional design. The Technical Training Advisor will develop procedures and other documentation that provide the foundation for much of the curriculum and development solutions. You are accountable to the Manager, Development Drainage and you will also have other key accountabilities including, but are not limited to:
- Taking technical information and presenting it in a clear, concise manner based on the audience.
- Facilitating and coordinating content reviews, and editing documents following standards and company branding as required.
- Designing, researching and writing standards, procedures and other documentation for EPCOR business units.
- Analyzing and evaluating requirements to determine appropriate training solutions to meet the learning needs of varied audiences.
- Translating requirements into appropriate training solutions as required, such as classroom (in-person and virtual), eLearning, video, animation, or other learning products.
- Collaborating with subject matter experts (SME), industry peers, and vendors.
- Utilizing business, adult learning, and instructional design strategies.
- Developing technical learning products, programs and materials tailored to various audiences with consideration to appropriate delivery methods, while ensuring alignment with legislative and corporate standards and EPCOR's compliance and conformance training requirements.
- Acting as a subject matter expert on instructional design, eLearning development and media production.
- Facilitating or delivering classroom courses to business areas as required.
- Managing and utilizing a project management framework to design documentation outlining the stakeholder objectives, learning objectives, storyboard/content outline, and technical/online learning strategy to achieve stakeholder requirements.
- Scheduling and managing timelines, validating procedure and training approvers, meeting all milestone dates, engaging and communicating with stakeholders, and seeking assistance in managing barriers or issues.
- Utilizing and assisting in developing internal processes, procedures, templates, standards, branding guidelines, and best practices for designing and developing learning products.
- Troubleshooting and resolving technical issues and escalating when necessary.
- Creating and maintaining information on internal SharePoint sites and related intranet sites.
What's required to be successful
Qualifications, experience and behaviours you possess are:
- Completion of a two (2) year diploma from a recognized post-secondary educational institute in the area of film/TV, digital media, education, instructional design, technical writing, training and development, or communications.
- A minimum of four (4) years of directly related experience in designing, developing, writing, editing, and managing training curriculum (both online and instructor-led) and procedures.
- Candidates with a minimum of two years of directly related experience may be considered at a developmental level.
- Experience in a utility, regulated environment and/or construction industry is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and competency in the following areas:
- Knowledge and applied experience with video (i.e., Premier Pro, Camtasia) and audio (i.e., Audition, Audacity) editing suites, and Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Captivate/Articulate Storyline, and Adobe Photoshop is required or an equivalent suite of eLearning and graphics editing products.
- Translating requirements into appropriate training solutions as required, such as classroom, eLearning, video, animation, or other learning products.
- Applied experience with digital photo and video cameras.
- Interest and technical aptitude in all types of media: graphics, animation, text, audio, still graphics, photos, video and 3D models.
- Producing technical documents with the intended purpose of meeting learning objectives.
- Developing training and instructional materials for adult learners.
- Reviewing documentation to ensure clarity, completeness, accuracy, and overall quality.
- Producing materials in accordance with set standards, guidelines, and templates.
- Collaborating with internal customers and facilitating stakeholder interactions.
- Defining and following documentation standards and adult learning philosophies.
- Organizing large amounts of information and prioritizing simultaneous deliverables under tight deadlines with a concern for client and business goals.
- Researching and finding resources and support materials to solve immediate technical challenges and to grow long-term technical capabilities.
- Possession of a valid Alberta Class 5 Motor Vehicle Operators License (6 or fewer demerits) and ability to maintain a valid EPCOR driver's permit.
- A 5 year Commercial Drivers Abstract may be required.
- Some local travel will be required.
- Experience in adult education philosophies, classroom delivery and/or facilitation is a desirable asset to have.
- Intermediate and/or advanced knowledge with Microsoft Office Suite, including SharePoint.
- Basic knowledge and use of learning management systems, including Oracle.
- Knowledge of developing Health, Safety and Environment training materials would be an asset.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, including superior writing, proofreading, and editorial skills.
- Applying an analytical process to projects, along with attention to detail.
As the ideal candidate, the qualifications (skills and behaviours) listed above are supplemented by your extensive planning, organizational and problem-solving skills. You consistently demonstrate a high level of initiative, along with an ability to be proactive as opposed to reactive. You exhibit the ability to achieve goals on time and to a defined standard, you continuously look for and advocate for opportunities to improve business practices, streamline processes, increase efficiency, reduce waste and improve results.
You are a team player with a positive, 'can do' attitude, who shares information and expertise with others to enable them to accomplish group goals, and seeks opportunities to contribute to the knowledge and success of the team. In addition, you are an engaging, respected and credible professional, able to establish and maintain value-added relationships with senior leaders, colleagues, and your own client groups. Other aptitudes you demonstrate include your ability to deal with ambiguity, are adaptable to change and skilled with managing multiple priorities.
Other important facts about this job
Note: Please be prepared to provide a portfolio (or samples) of your work to be used during the interview/selection process.
Wage: starting at $43.43 per hour
- Developmental T1 starting at $36.10 per hour
- This rate may change subject to ratification of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Final Wage and Step will be determined at the time of selection and is based on a combination of factors as outlined in the CA that may be found online.
Hours of work: 80 hours bi-weekly, Monday to Friday
Internal Applicants please ensure that you are using your "@epcor.com" email address.
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Follow us on LinkedIn,Â Twitter, GlassdoorÂ or Facebook!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.
For more information, visit EPCOR for Advisor, Technical Training