Highlights of the job
WeÂ have an opportunity for a permanentÂ CPA - Chartered Professional Accountant to join our team as Manager - Accounting, working out of either our Aylmer, Collingwood, or Toronto locations in Ontario.Â There is an opportunity to enroll in EPCOR's 'Where we Work Program' which allows some flexibility between working from home and the office.Â Living within a reasonable driving distance to any of the three Ontario offices is necessary.
As the Manager, Accounting you have your Accredited Accounting Designation (CPA) and acquired 5 or more years of experience that clearly demonstrate your progressive growth and accountability in the accounting field combined with a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory or leadership capacity.Â This will be essential to providing accounting, regulatory and financial reporting and support of Ontario Commercial Services business development activities.
Info about the Aylmer Region:
The Town of Aylmer Ontario is rich in history dating back as early as 1800 and is located within the County of Elgin in southern Ontario, just north of Lake Erie, on Catfish Creek (2 hours Southwest of Toronto or 38 minutes Southeast of London). Take in the mecca of quaint boutiques, fragrant bakeries & historic homes and buildings or take a self-guided heritage tour and admire different types of architecture, or visit one of the museums. There is always something going on in town sure to tickle your fancy. Check out the annual festivals, such as the Aylmer Fair; Maple Syrup Festival; Christmas in Aylmer: or the Sweet Cornfest.Â Enjoy your lunch in one of the picnic areas, or on one of the benches by the creek, go for your morning run along one of the paved or unpaved trails. Bring the little ones to feed the ducks or play on one of the creative play structures. Visit our website to learn more about the town: https://aylmer.ca/
Info about the Collingwood Region:
Collingwood is a town in Ontario, north of Toronto. Its harbour is in Nottawasaga Bay, the southern part of vast Georgian Bay and is well known for its many recreational opportunities. We are located in the heart of a four-season recreation region, with more than 70 km of trails, is a gateway to the Blue Mountain ski resort, with its downhill and cross-country trails and the town center is marked by the beaux arts-style Collingwood Federal Building. Nearby, the Collingwood Museum has exhibits on Collingwood Harbour's shipbuilding history. For more information about the area and all it has to offer individuals and their families, please visit:Â https://southgeorgianbay.ca/collingwoodÂ
Â What you'd be responsible for
The Manager, Accounting reports to the Senior Manager, Financial and Regulatory Reporting, and operates within the context and prescribed limits established.Â Key accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring the completion of accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting and external audit process requirements. Ensuring adherence to IFRS for accounting for all operations.
- Ensuring the completion of accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual regulatory accounting entries in compliance with the Ontario Energy Board.
- Maintaining high quality internal controls, including adherence to CSox requirements.
- Ensuring the timely and accurate completion of budgets, forecasts and Long-Term Plan.
- Identifying the necessary budget requirements for the provision of accurate and timely financial reporting and analysis.
- Developing, implementing and reviewing financial reporting and analysis processes to ensure compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and ensure mitigation of risks.
- Providing input to the Corporate Finance plans and directions, ensuring an appropriate understanding of the EUI (EPCOR Utilities Inc.) and Corporate Finance strategy throughout the Corporate Finance Group and ensuring on-going effective positioning and appropriate relationships between other Manager positions in Corporate Finance and in the rest of EUI.
- Developing and implementing appropriate (3 - 12 month) deliverables within the context of the Corporate Finance Group business plan.
- Ensuring deliverables of direct report positions are aligned and integrated, appropriately and including performance what by when metrics.
- Creating and managing a dedicated team of employees, including determination of optimal numbers, recruitment, retention and development.
- Ensuring the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance metrics. Planning, organizing and ensuring the completion of accurate financial reporting for Commercial Services within the prescribed timelines, ensuring the satisfaction of operations management through the provision of customer focused financial analysis and expertise.
- Participating in Finance-related integration activities for new businesses/operation acquired by Commercial Services business development activities.
What's required to be successful
You will have the following qualifications, experience and behaviours:
- Completion of post-secondary education from a recognized post-secondary educational institute in Business, Finance or Accounting (or Equivalent).
- Accredited Accounting Designation (CPA) is required.
- 5-7+ years of progressively responsible accounting experience.
- 2+ years of supervisory experience.
- Understanding of EPCOR Financial Processes is considered a strong asset.
- A deep understanding of IFRS and regulatory accounting policies and practices.
- Demonstrated capability to apply the relevant knowledge and technical skills to:
- monitor the adherence to financial accounting practices, policies and accounting standards.
- provide operations management with relevant financial analysis and input.
- Demonstrated understanding of financial accounting/reporting and regulatory concepts related to rate-regulated operations.
- Prior exposure to regulated utility operations, in natural gas or electricity, governed by the Ontario Energy Board will be considered a significant asset.
- Understanding and use of:
- Oracle financial system and related support systems.
- Excel applications for financial model development.
- Proven ability to establish and clearly communicate measurable and achievable targets. Linking team performance and metrics to business unit objectives.
In addition to the above, as the successful candidate you will demonstrate the following:
- That you take ownership: by demonstrating your understanding of the link between your own accountabilities and how they contribute to EPCOR's performance.
- Ability to collaborate with others: you manage emotions and act with tact and diplomacy, even when you find that you are in challenging circumstances.
- Your focus on continuous improvement - actively seeking opportunities to increase your knowledge and skills and demonstrate your openness to receiving feedback.
- Before being asked, you take the initiative to solve problems and meet objectives.
- You respond/adapt to change with an open attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- You are trustworthy, fair and able to keep confidences and always act with integrity.
Â To be fully successful in the role you manage procedures or processes that support achieving team goals or performing team functions and hold not only yourself but also others accountable for achieving established performance expectations safely and ethically. Additionally, you demonstrate and build support and enthusiasm for the accomplishment of stated goals translating action plans into annual objectives and giving encouragement to others to inspire their motivation.
Other important facts about this job
Hours of work: 80 hours biweekly Monday to Friday
Location: This position is located in Aylmer, Collingwood, or Toronto (55 University Ave) Ontario. TheÂ successfulÂ candidate will be required to reside near one of theÂ Ontario EPCORÂ locationsÂ
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Follow us on LinkedIn,Â Twitter, GlassdoorÂ or Facebook!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.
For more information, visit EPCOR for Manager Commercial Services, Accounting