Overnight Camp Counsellor
|Company||Native Child And Family Services Of Toronto|
|Native Child and Family Services of Toronto is an Aboriginal, community controlled multi-service agency. Our mission is to provide support, ensure safety and enhance the quality of life for Aboriginal families, children, and youth within the greater Toronto area. Our agency works within a holistic |
framework, which builds on individual and family strengths, and engages clients as partners in identifying issues and their solutions.
Note: Funding sponsors include: Miziwe Biik, Metis Nation of Ontario, Service Canada, City of Toronto, Ministry of Citizenship & Immigration, United Way, and Trillium Foundation. Funding stipulations may apply. All positions are contingent upon funding approval
Location: 1122 Lodge Rd., Clarendon Station, ON
NCFST is committed to staffing a workforce representative of the Aboriginal population we serve. We
encourage First Nation, Metis and Inuit applicants to apply and please self-identify in their cover letter.
The Overnight Camp Counsellor will:
- Be available for training opportunities June, 2022.
- Be available Monday to Friday for overnight camp during the summer months (July-August).
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, opening and closing ceremonies, swimming, canoeing, etc. This includes time spent on the bus.
- Be responsible for the direction, leadership, safety, and well-being of all campers.
- Maintain focus on children's needs so that appropriate programs and services are developed.
- Identify and respond to camper behavioural issues.
- Encourage physical, emotional, mental and spiritual growth and wellness of all campers.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Communicate with parents about participant's experiences and report concerns to Camp Leadership.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers' safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Help guide Counsellors-In-Training and Camp Volunteers to have a deeper understanding of leadership.
- Applicants must be at least 17 years of age (within the calendar year), and cannot exceed 30 years of age.
- Pass a vulnerable sector police records check. (If over the age of 18)
- All successful applicants will require Standard First Aid with CPR Level C prior to start date.
- Previous camp experience would be an asset.
- Understanding of the unique dynamics that exist within First Nations, Inuit, and Metis cultures.
- Good oral and written communication skills; initiative and respect for confidentiality.
- Demonstrated understanding, and commitment to, integrating the Native Child and Family Services of Toronto Mission and values in to practice, service and relationships.
- Demonstrated understanding of workplace Health and Safety practices and understanding of an employee's responsibility under current legislation.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, to maintain effective communication and working relationships, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills, tact, sensitivity and build strong internal relationships.
- NCFST requires all employees, contractors, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent of a valid medical exemption or other reasonable consideration pursuant to the Human Rights Code of Ontario.
|Salary||Starting Rate $15.00 An Hour 37.5 /week|
|How To Apply||Click "Apply Now" |
If you are interested in this job opportunity, please apply by clicking link provided on or before February 25, 2022
We are dedicated to providing a barrier-free work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, NCFST will make accommodations available to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process