General Manager, Granville Island
|Company||Canada Mortgage And Housing Corporation (CMHC)|
|Sector: Finance |
Language Designation: Bilingual
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): BBB
Salary Range: $141,479.63 to $176,849.54
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
Granville Island is administered by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) on behalf of the Federal Government.
Its mission is “to steward this public land for meaningful urban and social experimentation among diverse, creative, cultural, and business models, engaging local first nations and communities, and welcoming the world.”
Granville Island and its 300 businesses greet approximately 10 million people per year, employ over 3,000 people full-time, and generate over $260 million in economic activity. Granville Island is seen as one of the most successful waterfront developments in North America aspiring to become the “most inspiring public place in the world”.
You want to know more about Granville Island? Read the Granville Island 2040: Bridging Past & Future report by clicking on this link: granvilleisland2040.ca
This report builds on the success of the past, while offering bold new recommendations that anticipate how Granville Island can remain a dynamic destination for future generations to visit and enjoy.
About the role
The General Manager will provide strategic leadership to the overall management and administration of Granville Island and has the authority to resolve complex and contentious issues. The successful candidate will lead Granville Island through the next phase of its development, will manage human and financial resources, and deliver efficient/effective operations while fostering strong stakeholder relationships.
What you will need
* An undergraduate degree from a recognized university in commerce, business administration, property management and/or real estate.
* Minimum of thirteen (13) years of relevant experience, and five (5) years of proven leadership experience managing a team
* Demonstrated experience in land and project development, real estate development, leasing operations.
* Demonstrated ability to make timely and sound decisions and rely on influence in preference to authority.
* Demonstrated ability to find innovative approaches to project finance for strategic initiatives.
* Extensive experience managing complex renewal initiatives.
* Entrepreneurial mindset and experience driving growth, including financing arrangements.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and building trust with external stakeholders whose co-operation is critical to present and future organizational success.
* Ability to develop financial operating model for investment in capital assets, maintenance, and visionary initiatives.
* Highly developed interpersonal, negotiation, communication and stakeholder management skills. Ability to use tact, judgment and diplomacy to influence outcomes.
* Ability to navigate in multi-stakeholder environments, able to balance conflicting needs and objectives.
* Strong political sensitivity, with the ability to analyze and approach situations with tact, diplomacy and sound judgment.
* Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills with a demonstrated ability to capture and synthesize information to develop strategic business plans.
What you will be doing
* Develop policies and goals to align operations, organizational structure and finances with Granville Island mission, vision and strategy.
* Lead a significant long-term transformation in line with Granville Island’s strategy.
* Develop a strong working relationship with new Granville Island Council members, reporting to and being responsive to Council.
* Support Council in providing the proper education, orientation and onboarding of Council members to ensure it is an effective and high functioning decision- making body.
* Foster teamwork between Council, the General Manager and Granville Island management.
* Support an effective working relationship between CMHC and Council.
Financial/Operational Oversight and Property Management
* Develop a financial operating model that enables appropriate investment in capital assets, maintenance, and visionary initiatives.
* Develop innovative approaches to project financing for large strategic projects.
* Develop and implement a capital plan and budget, and annual operating plan and budget.
* Monitor and control expenditures within approved budget allocation as well manage the Granville Island profit and loss statement and balance sheet to ensure it remains financially self-sustaining.
* Oversee the management of leases and tenant issues and ensures their financial viability, balanced with community and cultural considerations.
* Maintain a current risk registry with mitigation strategies for key risks and ensure sound risk management processes are in place.
Relationship Management & Communications
* Build trusted long-term relationships with key GranvilIe Island stakeholders (e.g., all levels of government, the Granville Island community, the community at large, tenants, First Nation communities, the business community, etc.) and Council.
* Engage with and ensure effective, proactive communications with CMHC.
* Act as the key spokesperson on matters that pertain to Granville Island and manage complex and sensitive communication issues.
* Lead, organize, coach and develop the team to achieve Granville Island’s strategy and objectives by delegating responsibility and accountability while building capabilities within the team.
* Drive engagement, enable a culture of learning, performance management and accountability.
* Act as a catalyst for organizational change, influence the translation of vision into action.
* Implement practices to advance an inclusive, healthy organization, respectful of the diversity of people and their skills and free from harassment and discrimination.
|Languages||Bilingual (French And English)|
|How To Apply||Does this sound like you?|
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Note that Successful candidates will receive preliminary vetting by CMHC Human Resources prior to being presented to the Granville Island’s Council. This new Council is being established to strengthen local authority, capacity and capability for Granville Island, and to ensure the Island’s future success and achievement of its vision and strategy.
Posting closing date: August 30th, 2019 @ 11:59 pm EST (Note, the competition may remain active until filled)
Job Requisition ID: 3642
Primary Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Security Requirement: Secret
Travel Requirement: Occasional
* Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements.
* Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance.
* We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
* If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
* Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower salary range than is advertised for this position.
* All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities