Manager, Legal Review
|Company||University of Guelph|
|A unique career opportunity for a lawyer who’s an expert negotiator, mentor and advisor – Guelph, ON|
At the University of Guelph (U of G), our shared purpose is: To Improve Life. Join the Office of Research Services (ORS) team as the next Manager, Legal Review, and play a vital role in improving life by supporting our distinguished academic community in successfully delivering research programs – spanning all disciplines – that are dedicated to making communities, environment, food and health better.
As a key division of our Office of Research, a $156-million research enterprise, the ORS is a collaborative partner to faculty, department and college representatives as well as to senior management on pre-award and non-financial post-award research administrative matters. Within this broad portfolio of service, ORS negotiates, reviews and/or prepares research agreements to enable the completion of research projects carried out by U of G faculty, staff and students, including:
• award and research agreements;
• collaborative and/or multi-party agreements;
• master agreements;
• inter-institutional agreements;
• service agreements;
• data-sharing agreements; and
• international Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs).
Reporting to the Managing Director, Research Operations, and working collaboratively with researchers and other campus stakeholders, you’ll conduct thorough legal reviews of University contracts and agreements supporting a wide range of research activities. At the core of your mandate will be protecting the University from legal liabilities and ensuring that research agreements are signed in accordance with University, sponsor and government research policies. While maintaining your own file load, you’ll mentor and guide other ORS team members with contract review responsibilities, including providing training, tools and resources, and guiding contract review, negotiation and preparation practices.
As an expert advisor, you’ll analyze legal situations, conduct legal research and prepare legal memoranda to inform the decisions of senior leadership in the Office of Research, as well as provide input and revision to University policy and procedure in research. The University and the Office will also look to you to facilitate a deeper understanding of research agreement terms, conditions and compliance by providing timely education and guidance to faculty members and other campus members on legal considerations in research. As such, a commitment to continuous learning to remain current in research legal matters is essential.
Critical to your success in this pivotal role is your ability to develop positive, productive relationships with a wide range of stakeholders across the University (e.g., faculty, postdoctoral fellows, students, staff, Associate Deans Research, University Legal Counsel, Privacy Office staff, Financial Services, etc.) and within the ORS and broader Office of Research team . Maintaining positive relationships with external organizations such as research sponsors, and other universities in and outside of Canada, and finding constructive solutions to problems arising under executed agreements is also critical to effectively support, enhance and advance research at the University of Guelph.
To be considered for this unique opportunity as Manager, Legal Review, you must be a solutions-oriented subject matter expert with the following strengths:
• Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or Juris Doctor (J.D.), or equivalent, coupled with active membership with the Law Society of Ontario;
• Licence to practise in Ontario;
• At least five (5) years of experience in industry or in a university research administration/technology transfer office, negotiating, preparing and reviewing legal agreements;
• Demonstrated knowledge of legislation and case law relevant to sponsored research, including intellectual property, confidentiality, privacy, and contracts;
• Experience as a negotiator – with proven contract negotiation and influencing skills;
• Proven experience in drafting and interpreting legal agreements and knowledge of standard government and industry terms for research agreements;
• Proven ability to develop creative solutions and provide effective legal advice across a wide range of legal matters with significant complexity and risk exposure;
• Excellent analytical and information synthesis skills to assess complex situations, and superior judgement and problem-solving skills to generate sound recommendations;
• Advanced oral and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively present legal opinions, arguments and information clearly in a manner relevant to the audience;
• Demonstrated commitment to professional ethics and integrity;
• Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy and tact, with demonstrated ability to establish and maintain collegial, collaborative and service-oriented relationships with people from different backgrounds in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment;
• Skills as an advisor and mentor, with the ability to effectively educate, coach and guide others;
• Excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills to effectively manage a high volume of files, projects and activities simultaneously;
• Experience and aptitude with electronic research administration tools such as online databases, proposal submission portals, internet resources, spreadsheets and complex databases;
• Advanced computer skills, particularly with the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
• Working knowledge of science, and the research process, and the ability to read primary scientific documents (e.g., grant proposals) are assets.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
|How To Apply||To view a detailed posting for the role of Manager, Legal Review, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2020-0160, must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.|
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.