Technical Officer, Analytical Technologies
|Company||National Research Council Of Canada|
|Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization. |
We are looking for a Technical Officer to support our Aquatic and Crop Resource Development Research Centre. The Technical Officer would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
The successful candidate will play an important role within the Analytical Technologies team working towards development of new analytical chemistry methods and techniques for the analysis of small and large molecules in complex plant tissue matrices. The successful candidate will work within client-driven projects focused on development of new analytical capabilities as well as providing routine technical services. Responsibilities will focus on, but they are not limited to, the provision of technical support in the design, sample preparation, data collection, processing and data interpretation of various experiments aimed at identification, quantification, screening and profiling of small molecules and macromolecules in a variety of matrices.
|Salary||From $58,445 To $80,040 Per Annum|
|Education Requirements||Post-secondary education in pure and applied chemistry, analytical and bio-organic chemistry, or other discipline related to the position. A university degree in the related field would be considered an asset.|
|Essential Skills||• Working knowledge of laboratory solution preparation and fundamentals of quantitative chemical analysis. |
• Working knowledge of fundamentals of chromatographic separation techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to operate and develop methods using analytical equipment such as HPLC and GC for analysis of chemical compounds.
• Demonstrated ability to trouble-shoot experimental protocol or instrument technical issues.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain meticulous data records and report data.
• Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a safe and healthy environment based on knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety regulations and legislation.
• Demonstrated ability to handle difficult situations diplomatically and respectfully.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task while working in a fast-paced research environment.
|Experience||• Significant experience with isolation and purification of chemicals from plant extracts and other complex matrices.|
• Significant experience with developing analytical methods using equipment such as high performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC), gas chromatograph (GCs) or mass spectrometer-based equipment.
• Experience in working in a research lab environment and safe operating of standard/common equipment and laboratory apparatus such as analytical balances, centrifuges, vacuum pumps, freezers, fridges, ovens, pH meters, pipetters, etc.
• Experience in the full spectrum of research activities including experimental design, troubleshoot experimental protocols, ability to work independently, scientific record keeping and data reporting.
• Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team.
• Experience with multi-tasking while working in a fast-paced research environment.
|How To Apply||You will be required to answer screening questions to demonstrate how you meet the Essential Qualifications (Education and Experiences).|
When answering the screening questions, it is not sufficient to say that you have the required qualifications or to list your current or past responsibilities. Rather, you must provide concrete examples of tasks you have accomplished with significant details to explain the WHAT, WHEN, WHERE and HOW you acquired each qualification.
Should your responses to the screening questions contain insufficient details to demonstrate that you meet the screening criteria, your application may not be given further consideration in this process. A CV is still required as part of your application. Candidates will not be solicited for incomplete or possible missing information.
• A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
• NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
• Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
• The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
• We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.