Real Time Trader
|Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to delivering Responsible Energy for Tomorrow. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth-oriented North American power producer that creates dependable, cost-effective and innovative electricity solutions to power a sustainable future. |
As a group of experts and innovators in our field, we’re taking a leadership role in developing renewables, improving thermal generation efficiency and supporting the development of carbon capture, utilization and storage (CCUS) solutions to support a low-carbon energy system.
Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full-Time Position.
Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Trading team.
Reporting to the Manager, Short Term Trading, the Real Time Trader is accountable for the performance and execution of the short term portfolio strategy and proprietary trading (current hour to same day) in context of the Capital Power generation portfolio including asset dispatch, physical and financial trading, and other asset and non-asset based operational support.
The role is on the 24/7 RT Trading desk and is a shift work role that comprises of both 12-hour days and nights.
Key accountabilities include:
* Implements strategic decisions regarding the dispatch of approximately 2,000MW of power assets and trading strategies that result in the maximum value to Capital Power.
* Monitors, reports and reacts in real time to changing market conditions and documents and disseminates information as required.
* Generates incremental speculative trading revenues and reduces commodity price risk via trading outright positions and asset dispatch.
* Provides input to the Commodity Portfolio Management plans and directions, ensures an appropriate understanding of the Capital Power and Commodity Portfolio Management (CPM) strategy throughout the commodity portfolio and ensures on-going effective positioning and appropriate relationships between the Trading group and other positions in Commodity Portfolio Management and in the rest of Capital Power.
* Ensures compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and ensures mitigation of commodity price risks within real time.
* Provides expert quantitative and fundamental analysis of Alberta and adjacent power markets, location basis, transmission infrastructure, spreads, weather, and all other factors that influence Alberta and adjacent market power prices.
* Execution of strategic and tactical asset pricing and import/export and financial trading decisions.
* Formulates short term strategy and provides insight across the organization into the Alberta and adjacent power markets.
* Makes asset pricing decisions for Capital Power as well as on behalf of Capital Power partners.
* Executes short term power exposure management across the portfolio and acts strategically to manage this exposure.
* Acts on analysis to conduct trades or asset pricing decisions.
* Negotiates trades in Alberta and adjacent power markets and maintains and enhances customer relationships.
* Acts proactively to preserve and enhance the value of Capital Power’s power exposure while reducing risk.
* Actively monitors all power exposures and trading activity and communication thereof.
* Abides by and actively monitors and provides input into all applicable risk, credit limits, policies and procedures.
* Ensures compliance with external regulatory and other agencies and works proactively to minimize compliance mishaps.
* Maintains and initiates new customers/counterparties and products to add value in the management of the real time and medium term positions.
* Maintains customer relationships across Alberta and in adjacent power markets.
* Completes reports, provides market intelligence, etc. for external Capital Power partners.
|Education Requirements||Undergraduate degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics or Mathematics preferred. Graduate degree or industry-related supplementary designation (ERP, CFA, PRM, FRM, MBA, other) would be considered an asset.|
|Experience||Prior experience on a real time desk or exposure to power and gas markets preferable. Understanding of relevant physical market characteristics for both decision making and information translation and transfer purposes.|
|Additional Skills||* Ability to make decisions with incomplete information and execute under tight time constraints in a high stress environment.|
* Ability to translate knowledge into decisions and strategy to be executed and articulation of such activity.
* Proficient use of Microsoft Office products and VBA/Coding skills considered an asset.
* You must possess a willingness to become fully knowledgeable in operations (scheduling, dispatching, physical gas trading, and settlement) in the Western power and gas markets.
* A business oriented person who is analytically inclined, comfortable working in a multi-disciplinary team environment, and able to make decisions based on current market information.
|Other||Capital Power employees are eligible for a $1,000 Referral Reward for this position!|
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
We’re committed to providing a meaningful work experience that challenges you to be your best at every stage of your career with us. You will be empowered to take on opportunities you never thought you would. We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellness program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
We’re passionate about our employees and proud to foster a culture that values diversity; realizing an inclusive and diverse team is paramount to help grow our company and power the future. We’re proud to foster an environment where employees go home safe every day feeling physically, emotionally and financially supported.
|How To Apply||Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application by clicking Apply Now. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.|
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in Capital Power. We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.