Senior Software Developer
|Company||Ontario Institute For Cancer Research|
|Job Category||Information Technology|
|The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a passionate senior developer to join a dynamic team working in one of the country's premier cancer research institutes.|
This position is temporary, full-time for one-year with the possibility of renewal or converting to permanent, full-time.
The Ontario Health Study (OHS) is a long-term health research initiative hosted by the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR). The OHS is a population-wide health study that serves as a platform to help researchers understand how our genes, lifestyle, and environment affect our health over time, and to develop strategies for the prevention, early detection, and treatment of chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, heart disease, asthma, and Alzheimer's. The Study continues to expand its dataset through new linkages, sample collection and analyses, and administration of online questionnaires. OHS data and samples are available to the research community for approved, health-related studies.
We at OHS Informatics aim at providing best practice solutions and infrastructure to health researchers across Canada and around the world. This includes a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), online participant portal & questionnaires, data warehouse & data sharing solutions, call-center solutions as well as an internal management console for administrative services.
As part of the team, the Senior Developer is required to support existing and develop new innovative software solutions for OHS that contributes to the ongoing strategic OHS-IT deliverables. The successful candidate will have an extensive track record of information technology expertise and experience. Well-developed communication and relationship building skills are paramount. Experience in dealing in modern clinical and/or medical research settings is advantageous.
While most work is completed remotely, we occasionally have onsite team meetings or events or organization wide social activities where attendance is expected.
To learn more about working at OICR, visit our career page.
The responsibilities include:
- Work with operations and infrastructure teams to determine best mix of development and technical solutions to meet business requirements and project objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams in gathering project requirements and translating them into technical specifications.
- Proactively participate and influence the software architecture specifications, design, implementations.
- Provide accurate development estimates, identifying risks and developing / recommending mitigation strategies.
- Develop new, migrate & improve existing business applications with new features & enhancements using industry best practices and standards.
- Collaborate and contribute to the design and implementation of the analytics data marts.
- Conduct thorough testing and debugging of applications to ensure high-quality deliverables.
- Deploy software applications for development, staging & production as required.
- Ability to fast track, investigate and resolve end-to-end infrastructure, production, or operations related issues.
- Optimize application performance by identifying bottlenecks and implementing necessary improvements.
- Ensure adequate technical design, implementation documents and user guides as prepared.
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment with exceptional attention to detail, coupled with strong organizational, time management, and decision-making skills.
- Lead and contribute to meetings, walkthrough reviews of technical & functional specifications and unit test plans.
- Research and recommend improvements to further automation of existing study activities as well as modernization of the existing applications.
- Stay up to date with emerging technologies and industry trends to continuously improve development processes and solutions.
Key Design & Development Tools:
UML, Java, Hibernate, MySQL, REST, JSON, ZK Framework, Ajax, JQuery, Tomcat, Eclipse, Eclipse Rich Client Platform programming, Jenkins, Jira, SVN, Git, MySQL Workbench, UFT, R, SAS Analytics, Linux, Debian, Windows Server, OpenStack.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar.
- Four (4) to eight (8) years of relevant development experience.
- Experience with modern software frameworks, architectural & design patterns.
- Experience in full stack development is preferred.
- Four (4) to eight (8) years of experience designing, developing, implementing automated unit tests.
- Four (4) to eight (8) years of experience with desktop & web development using Java and related frameworks.
- Experience working with relational databases and proficiency in MySQL and Hibernate.
- Proven expertise in functional and non-functional requirements and testing.
- Experience with continuous integration/delivery best practices, technologies, and tools such as Jenkins, GitHub, JIRA.
- Working knowledge for developing on cloud environments like AWS, Google cloud is a plus.
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts and best practices is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of PIPEDA, PHIPA & HIPAA compliance is a plus.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong relationship building & collaboration skills.
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of assigned tasks.
- Previous experience working in an Agile development team.
- Additional technology certifications and/or software development certifications are desirable.
OICR is a collaborative, not-for-profit research institute accelerating the development of new cancer research discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario. We are dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals who share our values of excellence, innovation, collaboration, impact, responsibility and community.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
|How To Apply||Click "Apply Now" |
OICR is committed to fostering a climate of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. This commitment is central to, and mutually supportive of, our research excellence mandate. We welcome and respect the diversity of all members of our community and we support an inclusive culture for all. We welcome all applicants, and encourage applications from racialized persons, Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S persons, and others who may contribute to furthering a diversity of ideas within our community. OICR is committed to fair assessment of a candidate's abilities, and consideration for diversity of thought, method, and experience. Providing an accessible workplace and recruitment process is important to us, as described in our Accessibility Plan (https://oicr.on.ca/accessibility/). Should you require accommodation during any stage in the recruitment process, please complete the form at the bottom of page https://oicr.on.ca/careers/. Information received related to accommodation will be handled confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .pdf or .doc file.