|Company||National Indigenous Fisheries Institute|
|Location||Across Canada - Internet-based|
|Job Title: Research Assistant (General - Development Opportunity)|
Position Type Contract, upon award, until March 31, 2020 (May become Full-time Staff Position)
Competition # NIFI-HR-2019-001
Closing Date Applications will be accepted until 1159PM PST 31 Aug 2019
The National Indigenous Fisheries Institute (the Institute) is seeking applicants for a development position as a Research Assistant.
This position will support a range of research-related projects in which the Institute is presently engaged, and which are anticipated over the next year (and longer). The successful candidate will conduct directed research, such as reviewing relevant government and organizational websites, data, and documents; collecting and organizing online content and open-source information; examining science-related projects and proposals; and scanning engagement reports and results.
This is a development position, allowing the successful candidate to gain experience in the field of desktop research and to benefit from mentorship and the experience of the Institute’s Secretariat team members. The position is also not geographically restricted, allowing for work to be conducted from the successful candidate’s community/residence. All work will be conducted remotely, via internet and via regular email/telephone interface with the Institute’s lead researcher/project lead.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform directed research; identifying, collecting, organizing, and referencing information and data pertinent to the project.
• Conduct directed online research.
• Conduct review of government reports and documents.
• Compile findings in concise, readily used summaries for further analysis and incorporation into master reports.
• Cooperate with lead researcher/project lead on additional requirements, as identified as part of the research program.
Qualifications & Skills
• Minimum grade 12 certificate.
o Post-secondary courses/certificate/diploma/degree advantageous, but not an essential qualification.
• Basic organizational and analytical skills.
• Experience in the compiling, organization, and referencing of information.
• Self-motivated, organized, detail oriented, and deadline driven.
• Ability to read and scrutinize significant volumes of varied program documents and information; assembling information relevant to the scope of the study.
• Competent in the use of Microsoft Word
o Competence in the use of additional computer programs is advantageous, but not an essential qualification.
• Competent in the use of online search engines (e.g., Google).
• Access to internet, workstation, and phone is essential – and the responsibility of the candidate.
o Online research and electronic files require internet connection, and the applicant must have access to a workstation/computer. Regular check-in by phone is mandatory with mentor/manager/project lead.
First Nations, Inuit, Métis Applicants - As a priority and wherever possible, the National Indigenous Fisheries Institute seeks to provide skills development opportunities for Indigenous persons. While not required, the Institute encourages First Nations, Inuit, and Métis candidates to identify accordingly in their application, as initial consideration will be afforded to those applicants.
Contract Duration – The position, as currently listed, will cover the period from award until 31 March 2020. Renewal options will be considered, based on quality of work, to extend beyond this time frame. This position will be further reviewed as a potential, full-time staff position.
As the position is not geographically dependent, the successful applicant’s place of work is at their discretion; in keeping with connectivity requirements.
This position requires a significant reading and screen time, as the associated research is primarily online.
Remuneration (Hourly Pay Rate and Other Compensation)
• $20/hour, averaging 15-20 hours per week
• Internet access costs may also be covered (for discussion at the interview stage)
|Start Date||Upon Award, until 31 March 2020 (possibly to become full-time staff position)|
|Salary||$20.00/hr, Averaging 15-20 Hours Per Week|
|How To Apply||Applicants may send a resume and cover letter, or questions pertaining to the application process, to email@example.com and cover letters may be addressed to the Selection Committee. |
Please reference the competition number for this position (NIFI-HR-2019-001)