|Company||The Gordon Foundation|
|Job Category||Information Technology|
|About The Gordon Foundation |
The Gordon Foundation is a philanthropic foundation based in Toronto, Canada. The Foundation undertakes research, leadership development and public dialogue so that public policies in Canada reflect a commitment to collaborative stewardship of our freshwater resources and to a people-driven, equitable and evolving North. DataStream is an initiative developed by The Gordon Foundation.
DataStream is an open access platform for sharing water data. Our mission is to promote knowledge sharing and advance collaborative, evidence-based decision-making. There are currently four DataStream hubs:
- Mackenzie DataStream
- Atlantic DataStream
- Lake Winnipeg DataStream
- Great Lakes DataStream
A fifth hub, Pacific DataStream, is currently under development.
About the Role
This position will support the operation and expansion of DataStream, a dynamic, rapidly growing initiative. Reporting to the DataStream Program Manager, the Data Specialist will support the continued growth of DataStream in all hubs, with a focus on Pacific expansion. Working alongside the DataStream team, the Data Specialist will contribute water science and data management expertise to inform various aspects of the program.
The ideal candidate is:
- Technically strong in data science and capable of applying these skills to find practical solutions to support DataStream's diverse user community
- An excellent communicator (both written and verbal)
- Capable of communicating complex concepts to non-experts
- Passionate about improving access to water data in Canada
The salary range is $45,000-$70,000 per year.
Key Areas of Responsibility
With input from the team, the Data Specialist will have a broad range of responsibilities including the following:
- Grow DataStream's user community across DataStream's hub regions
- Design and deliver presentations, training sessions, and webinars on the DataStream platform and water-related technical topics;
- Manage the continual evolution of DataStream's data schema, available here: https://github.com/gordonfn/schema;
- Contribute technical expertise to inform key development processes, such as ETL (extract, transform, load) processes;
- Liaise with DataStream contributors and laboratories to streamline data import and export processes;
- Provide input and perform testing on new DataStream features to ensure they perform as designed prior to release;
- Maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external partners and advisors in the water community.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master's Degree, or equivalent work experience, in data science, hydrogeology, limnology, aquatic ecology, hydrology, or related discipline;
- Strong presentation and communication skills - can easily distill technical information to audiences with a wide range of expertise in water science and computer skills;
- Experience managing large environmental datasets using systematic processes;
- Proficiency with Excel, and Google sheets;
- Proficiency in a coding language for the purposes of data wrangling and cleaning, e.g. R or Python;
- A self-starter with good judgement and the ability to work independently and as an effective team member;
- Demonstrated track record in building and maintaining relationships.
Additional Desired Experience/Qualifications
- Experience in water and/or environmental monitoring and research
- Knowledge or experience working with a software team
- Bilingual in French and English
- Experience working with federal, provincial or territorial governments
- Experience working with Indigenous governments and organizations
- Strong preference will be given to applicants identifying as Indigenous (Inuit, First Nations or Métis).
|Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Salary||$45,000-$70,000 Per Year.|
|How To Apply||To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Data Specialist" in the subject line. Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.|
Your resume and cover letter must be received by May 27, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.