|Indspire is an Indigenous national registered charity that invests in the education of Indigenous people for the long-term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada. With the support of its funding partners, Indspire disburses financial awards, delivers programs, and shares resources with the goal of improving educational outcomes for First Nations, Inuit and Métis students. Through Indspire’s education offerings, we provide resources to students, educators, communities and other stakeholders who are committed to improving success for Indigenous youth. In 2018-19, Indspire awarded $16.2 million through 5,553 bursaries and scholarships to Indigenous youth, making it the largest funder of Indigenous post-secondary education outside the federal government. Each year, the organization presents the Indspire Awards, a celebration of the successes achieved by First Nations, Inuit and Métis people that is broadcast nationally.|
We are recruiting for a Communications Advisor to join our Communications and Marketing team. Reporting to the Vice President, Communications and Marketing, the Communications Advisor coordinates the production of communications projects for Indspire; creates and delivers various communication collateral; coordinates communications activities related to the Indspire Awards and other external events. This position also oversees the work of the Communications Assistant who performs administrative duties for the department.
The position responsibilities of the Communications Advisor include:
- Writes, proofreads and/or edits content for press releases, monthly e-newsletter, event materials, letters, advertisements, brief articles, email blasts, and other publications.
- Manages processes and activities related to the Indspire Awards recipients from nominations through to recipients, including the nominations process, scheduling and participating in jury meetings
- Conducts research surrounding external events/people as required, including the CEO
- Ensures brand guidelines are followed for all communications collateral.
- Represents Indspire at events.
- Oversees the work of the Communications Assistant, acting as back up as needed.
- Acts as back up for the Digital Marketing Manager (on- line content) during absences.
- Post-secondary education, preferably a university degree or minimum of a college diploma in communications, media and/or equivalent experience.
- Progressive experience with a minimum of 5 – 7 years’ experience in a similar environment.
- Lived experience of Indigenous communities ideal; knowledge of the issues affecting Indigenous peoples and experience in Indigenous communities. essential
- Demonstrated openness to learning and willingness to engage in cultural competency training.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong organizational abilities and time management skills with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines, multitask and prioritize workload.
- Superior writing skills and communicates messages in a professional and engaging manner.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and deal constructively with conflict
- Strong inter-personal skills and demonstrated tact and diplomacy in dealing with people.
- Social media experience and ability to manage on-line content.
- Ability to work in French is an asset.
- Must be able to work occasional evening and weekends
- Ability to travel across Canada as required.
- Travel between Six Nations and Toronto offices is required
The duties within this job description can be amended from time to time.
|How To Apply||This is a full-time position based in Toronto. The salary range is competitive with a good benefits package, including pension plan. As an Indigenous organization whose mandate is to promote opportunities for Indigenous people, we encourage applications from qualified Indigenous persons and all others interested in the position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about Indspire, visit indspire.ca.|
To apply, please forward your résumé, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified candidates will be contacted directly. No agency calls please.
Deadline for Applications: July 29, 2019