Should the successful applicant be a Unifor Unit 1 bargaining unit member, who meets the eligibility conditions of Article 19.02 of the Unifor Unit 1 Collective Agreement, then the Limited Term Assignment will be defined as a Career Growth Opportunity in accordance with Article 19 of the Unifor Local 5555 Unit 1 Collective Agreement.
Clinical Research Coordinator (I)
For Department use only.
A Clinical Research Coordinator is required for the Michael G. DeGroote Centre for Transfusion Research (MCTR), in the Department of Medicine. MCTR is dedicated to advancing transfusion science through innovative methodology & collaborative research to improve patient health outcomes. The Department of Medicine is the largest department in the Faculty of Health Sciences and consists of 18 Divisions spanning the breadth of Internal Medicine. Our approximately 300 full-time and more than 440 non-GFT faculty members work closely with our hospital partners at Hamilton Health Sciences, St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton, the Niagara Healthcare System, and other regional partner institutions to deliver excellent clinical care. The Mission of the Department of Medicine is to provide outstanding clinical care, to provide superlative education and to maintain our position as a "world-leading" center for research and innovation. For more information on how our staff and faculty positively contribute to clinical, academic, and research initiatives, please visit our website at https://healthsci.mcmaster.ca/medicine.
Responsible for implementing, monitoring, refining, analyzing, coordinating, and reporting on several clinical research projects. Acts as a resource for the development of protocols, study documents, operations of study management, and management techniques.
Purpose and Key Functions:
- Apply specialized knowledge and scientific principles to review, critically appraise and interpret published literature.
- Write sections of scientific papers, funding proposals, and abstracts.
- Coordinate the activities of research staff and resources to ensure that the project progresses in accordance with predetermined timelines.
- Develop estimates of time and resources for research projects.
- Oversee the collection, entry, verification, management, analysis, and reporting of data.
- Use statistical software to analyze data and interpret results.
- Design and maintain databases, data collection forms, error checking methods and related programs for efficient collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Troubleshoot moderately complex computer problems.
- Write data management and operations documentation for projects.
- Liaise between the clinic centre and remote clinic sites and personnel.
- Conduct structured patient interviews.
- Ensure that the relevant research methodology is applied and all research material is handled in accordance with established protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Participate in the development of promotional strategies and related materials to encourage participation and support for research projects.
- Consult on protocol development, student organization, and data management activities.
- Develop presentations and present information and training sessions to project personnel and project patients.
- Present at meetings, seminars, and conferences.
- Keep project participants informed of project progress through regular reports and newsletters.
- Implement and maintain research project budgets. Create financial projections and make adjustments to research project budgets throughout the fiscal year.
- Exercise appropriate controls, monitor, and reconcile accounts.
- Conduct literature searches.
- Provide lead hand supervision and is responsible for the quality and quantity of work of others.
- Ongoing responsibility for supervising up to 9 casual employees at any one time.
- Provide orientation and show procedures to others.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field of study.
- Requires 4 years of relevant experience.
For Department use only.
- The successful candidate must provide evidence of research training (such as HRM, CRA training, or other).
- Experience with submissions to the Research Ethics Board and day to day clinical trial operations including subject study visits.
- Experience with development of study documents such as operations manuals and protocols.
- Experience with coordination of multi-centre clinical trials is preferred.
- Preference will be given to individuals who have EMR experience (such as Epic, Meditech, Sovera, Dovetale, and Mosaiq).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task under competing priorities and deadlines.
- We are looking for a detail-oriented individual with initiative who works well independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities are required.
- Preference will be given to individuals with experience in data management, including:
- Coding skills using software (R, SAS, SQL or others) for data management and data preparation including data cleaning and data validation.
- Development of database dictionaries.
- Generating reports for data completeness and compliance.
Travel between sites will be required. This role requires on-site presence.
For more information, visit McMaster University for CLINICAL RESEARCH COORD (I)