The Student Success Centre provides a diverse array of programs to students related to transition, career development and employment, experiential learning opportunities both local and abroad and provides support services for our international students. We support students from the time that they enter university to the time that they graduate and beyond. The Centre is a high paced environment, popular with students and employers and works in collaboration and partnership with many other internal and external stakeholders. This position will provide individual support/coaching/advising to all international students to help them navigate administrative processes and resolve challenges as well coordinates and develops programs based on this population of students’ needs.
The Coordinator, International Undergraduate Students will serve as a primary first point of contact for the specific needs of undergraduate international students and support them in their cultural, social and academic transition. This position will provide information/resources and work with other Student Affairs professionals to coordinate, develop and implement programming. This position will be the primary administrator for University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for all international students (undergraduates and graduate students) and will be the main liaison with our insurance provider regarding coverage and any other issues.
Purpose and Key Functions:
* Act a key resource and expert relating to international undergraduate student issues for University departments and colleagues.
* Provide advice and assistance to prospective international undergraduate students and recent alumni on various medical insurance coverages, premiums and health and wellness providers.
* Administer procedures related to UHIP including student enrollment, coverage changes, and reconciliation of UHIP premiums to insurance provider.
* Troubleshoot and resolve issues relating to insurance premiums and coverage including incorrect charges, coverage qualifications, coverage termination and coverage for dependents.
* Ensure adherence to confidentiality regarding all personal and medical issues relating to students.
* Liaise with insurance providers on medical related cases and connect with Faculty and other University departments as required.
* Develop information resources to support international undergraduate students.
* Develop and implement assessment strategies to evaluate the impact of programs on targeted student outcomes (focus groups, surveys, benchmarking).
* Coordinate, plan and implement programs and activities to support the successful orientation, transition (including academic, social and cultural) and engagement to the University and Hamilton Community.
* Provide assistance in crisis-related situations for international undergraduate students.
* Work collaboratively with various internal and external stakeholders to ensure the unique needs of international undergraduate students are met.
* Recruit student volunteers and ambassadors to support the delivery of programs and activities.
* Develop and facilitate training programs for student volunteers and ambassadors to support the delivery of programs and activities.
* Develop and implement the Peer Mentoring program to support the undergraduate student academic, personal and professional success.
* Research best practices for supporting international undergraduate supports and maintain interuniversity contacts.
* Collaborate with professional staff to provide integrated, student-centered services focused on student success and retention.
* Act as a co-chair and participate in a variety of committees and meetings.
* Remain current on modern trends and issues facing international undergraduate students, including, but not limited to, housing needs, ESL, financial literacy, academic skills, writing support, professional skills.
* Contribute to the development of marketing and communication material.
* Ongoing responsibility for hiring and supervising up to 9 casual employees at any one time.
* Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study.
* Requires minimum 3 years of relevant experience.
* Experience in database management, customer service
* RISIA License
* Tech savvy, adaptable to new software and troubleshooting functionality
* Professional and tactful in dealing with all stakeholders
* Knowledge of social media tools to promote engagement and outreach
* Knowledge of internal and external resources and administrative processes to help students navigate their academic journey
* Knowledge of international affairs as it relates to student mobility to Canada
* Good knowledge of the Hamilton community and resources that students can tap into
* Great relationship building skills
* Experience administering UHIP
The successful incumbent will be passionate about supporting our international students. The person will have experience in helping students through the process of transition into McMaster, help them navigate their academic journey and develop programs to integrate them into the Hamilton community.
For more information, visit McMaster University for COORDINATOR, INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS