Personal Care Aide
|Company||Canuck Place Children's Hospice|
|Job Category||Health Care|
|Personal Care Aide (PCA)|
Location: Abbotsford Hospice
Reporting to: Clinical Nursing Manager - Dave Lede House
Job status: Part-time 0.5 FTE (37.5 hours bi-weekly) up to full-time 1.0 FTE (75 hours bi-weekly)
Canuck Place Children's Hospice (CPCH) is British Columbia's recognized pediatric palliative care provider. For over two decades, through the many programs and services we provide, we have made a significant difference in the lives of children with life-threatening illnesses and the families who love them. Be part of a talented and innovative team that takes pride in supporting and providing the highest quality pediatric palliative care.
It is the expectation for all roles across the organization to know the organization's philosophy of pediatric palliative care and uphold a commitment to further ones knowledge. Our philosophy of pediatric palliative care is as follows: Pediatric palliative care improves quality of life, promotes comfort, and reduces suffering for children with life-threatening conditions (serious illness) and their families through a holistic approach addressing; physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs. It is collaborative person & family-centered care delivered using a team-based approach throughout the continuum of care across all ages and stages of illness, including bereavement. It values choice and honest and compassionate communication.
At Canuck Place we understand that uniqueness is powerful. We hold each other accountable for an inclusive environment where employees feel empowered to share their experiences and ideas and know that they belong. We believe diversity drives innovation and the best pediatric palliative care for children and their families therefore we welcome that every person brings an individual perspective and experience to advance our mission. We have more work to do to advance diversity and inclusion and we are building a culture where difference is valued. We have a commitment to inclusion across gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity and disability status, to ensure our team members are empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. All staff are encouraged to contribute their perspective and lived experience through our internal employee groups such as Care 4 the Caregiver, Culture, DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging), Green Team, Truth and Reconciliation and Wellness Committees.
WHY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO WORK HERE?
Canuck Place careers are full of connection, community, and care. We aim to nurture a supportive culture rooted in compassion, collaboration and support while providing expert care to children and families. Our team includes individuals with a special blend of sensitivity, compassion, and appreciation for life. Canuck Place is where no moment is missed. A place where you can make a difference.
We offer competitive compensation and a benefits package focusing on wellness and self-care that includes:
- 20 days' vacation (pro-rated to your full-time equivalency)to start with ongoing annual anniversary increases up to an organizational maximum of 45 days
- Up to two paid mandatory wellness days a year
- Generous paid leave including compassionate and special leave when you need it
- Municipal Pension Plan (MPP)
- 100% employer paid benefits package from your first day which includes extended health and dental and $1,500 annually for counselling
- Health and Wellness Spending account that provides up to $1,000 annually to ensure you can focus on the benefits that are important to you and your family
- Flexible working options
- Free meals on-site at the hospices
- Continuous paid training and development opportunities so everyone has the opportunity to learn new skills and grow
- Ongoing parental support including top up for maternity and parental leave and paid leave for new grandparents
Under the direction of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse, the Personal Care Aide ensures safe, quality care while performing care duties relating to feeding, personal hygiene, music and recreational therapy activities, accompanying children and families on outings, and some clinical duties.
- Provides personal care to children with bathing, dressing, oral hygiene, skin and hair care; assisting with toilet needs; and lifting and transferring children.
- Assists with meals by serving and feeding designated children.
- Assists with a child's exercise routines.
- Safely utilizes mechanical aids, such as wheelchairs, lifts, and stretchers.
- Performs tasks, as delegated by the nurse, such as obtaining urine specimens, administering non-sterile dressings, checking skin for ulcers and for skin integrity, following standard procedures and protocols.
- Monitors children and reports observations, problems, and any behavioural, physical and cognitive changes to the Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Accompanies children and families on outings and during social activities, as required.
- Assists with recreation and music therapy activities.
- Performs some clerical duties, such as typing, answering the telephone, and counting petty cash.
- Charts pertinent information in the child's chart.
- Follows policies, procedures and standards of excellence to ensure a safe environment for children and families, other staff, and volunteers.
- Assumes other related responsibilities, as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma, supplemented with graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant program, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience and be registered with the BC Care Aid Community Health Worker Registry.
- Must have a valid CPR.
What you bring to the role:
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Good English communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in children.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with children and families.
- Good computer skills, including MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain appropriate professional and personal boundaries.
- Clear and valid Class 5 BC driver's licence is required.
- High integrity; creativity; balance, good judgment and objectivity; high vision and conceptual capabilities; consultative, facilitate and collaborative; sense of humor.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrates flexibility that allows you to work with high energy, creative people.
- Able to thrive and effectively manage priorities in a changing, ambiguous environment.
- Evidence of Health Canada approved vaccinations must be provided prior to your first day of work.
- Flexibility is necessary, as this position may require occasional weekend and evening work and travel within and outside the Lower Mainland.
We understand that the recruitment process is not a one size fits all, our inclusion values and flexibility extend to your hiring experience. Canuck Place is committed to providing inclusive access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. We are continuously working to improve our systems, policies, and practices to ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. Should you require accessibility accommodation through the recruitment process, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Canuck Place Children's Hospice hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equality and diversity within its community and to a welcoming and inclusive workplace. We especially welcome applications from Indigenous persons, visible minority group members, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations, genders and gender identities, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
|How To Apply||Click "Apply Now" |
Please submit your cover letter and your resume at https://www.canuckplace.org/about-us/careers/. This posting will remain open until filled. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates who have been short-listed will be contacted.