The Integrated Biomedical Engineering & Health Sciences Program (iBioMed) is seeking to hire 2 enthusiastic and highly engaged Course Developers for IBEHS 1P10. These positions are 4-month full-time co-op placements, beginning May 6, 2019.
The role of the Course Developer is to apply both technical and practical skills in the design and implementation of the course curriculum for IBEHS 1P10. Specifically, this entails reviewing and developing course materials as needed (e.g., custom courseware, online resources, etc.), as well as developing and evaluating testing validation tools, experiential activities, and design projects.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to be involved in the ongoing development and continuous improvement of McMaster’s iBioMed Program through the delivery of its foundational design course. For the successful candidate, this is a valuable opportunity to apply technical skills in engineering and health sciences (e.g., design, CAD, computing, etc.), develop important practical skills in communication, management and teamwork; all skills that are critical for long-term success in the workforce.
PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING COMPETENCIES:
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to develop the following professional engineering competencies:
- Communicating technical / non-technical information to an audience with varying levels of comprehension
- Delivering effective and high-quality slide presentations to audiences varying in size and composition
- Communicating effectively with diverse populations and people occupying different functional roles
- Handling difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
- Ensuring all written and verbal communications are appropriate to a professional workplace
Relationship Development and Management:
- Effectively work in a dynamic team environment while facilitating and promoting team work of others
- Creating and maintaining professional relationships with a diverse group including students, teaching assistants, professors, professional engineers and staff
- Develop essential skills in time management, organization, prioritizing tasks, following through on deliverables
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborating with course instructors to develop and finalize course materials pertaining to lecture, lab, tutorials and design projects
- Validate design projects through prototyping and the development of validation tools and equipment
- Stay current with new technologies and materials that pertain to the course and, where appropriate, suggest how they can be implemented towards continuously improving the course moving forward
- Maintain confidentiality of information
- Currently registered in a Bachelor’s degree program in Engineering from McMaster University, or equivalent
- Successful completion of ENGINEER 1C03 (Engineering Design & Graphics), ENGINEER 1D04 (Engineering Computation) and ENGINEER 1P03 (Engineering Practice & Profession), or IBEHS 1P10 (Health Solutions Design Projects I), or equivalent.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 7.0; significant experience could be considered in place of this requirement
- Previous experience in Autodesk Inventor (or similar CAD software) and Python (or similar programming language) outside of IBEHS 1P10, ENGINEER 1C03 and ENGINEER 1D04 is considered an asset
- Demonstrated interest in the biomedical field is desirable
- LENGTH OF CO-OP WORK TERM: 4-months, beginning May 6, 2019
- WAGE: $22.28/hr, 35 hours per week
- NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 2
For more information, visit McMaster University for IBEHS 1P10 COURSE DEVELOPER (SUMMER 2019)