|Closing Date ||2020-08-05 |
|Reference Number ||21-968- STU -IT-02 |
|Job Category ||Co-op |
|Who Can Apply ||Canadian Citizens |
|Location ||Ottawa, Ontario |
|Salary Range ||Hourly Salary |
|Status ||Term - 4 to 16 months |
|Language Requirement ||Various |
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) is looking for students who thrive on tackling diverse challenges in a unique environment. You will have the opportunity to contribute and influence projects deliverable that supports the collection, processing, analysis, storage, and safeguarding of CSIS' classified and unclassified information. You may be exposed to specialized security intelligence related technologies, systems and equipment. Specific duties cannot be divulged during the recruiting process, however they will be unlike any other opportunities out there. Are you up to the challenge?
We have opportunities in the following areas:
- Hands on work experience with projects
- Teamwork and individual contributions
- Exposure to knowledgeable and passionate subject matter experts
- Collaborative work environments
- Improve your time and project management skills
- Diverse work force
Undergraduate degree or College diploma (3 year) programs including but not limited to:
- Computer Science
- Computer and Electrical Engineering
- Engineering in technical areas
- Network Security
- Information Technology
CSIS offers a wide variety of opportunities for students to cultivate their skills and gain valuable experience in one or more of the following fields:
- Perform development and/or integration of software systems using Pega Business Process Management (BPM) rules engine.
- Build tools, APIs, native or web based frontends.
- Interact with end users and provide recommendations to improve their user experiences.
- Participate in designing, programming, testing, documenting and optimizing solutions.
- Learn best practices through mentorship and code review.
- Support or modernize legacy applications.
- Develop tools for the delivery and processing of telecommunications data.
- Test and maintain mobile devices using networking protocols and software development tools.
- Analyze and configure LAN/WAN communications networks and appliances.
- Maintenance, support and administration of LAN/WAN.
- Research latest security practices, validate operational tools and make recommendations for improvements to standard practices.
- Application of network security best practices involving commercial hardware and software.
- Develop software tools and scripts for system security audits.
- Assess/provide/use/validate secure network infrastructure for technical solutions to be used operationally.
- Vulnerability testing of products or software, proof of concepts, refining requirements and conducting research.
- Installation, configuration and support of security related products.
- Conduct in depth security assessments such as Statements of Sensitivity (SOS), Security Reviews, Threat and Risk Assessments (TRA) and Certification & Accreditations (C&A) or Security Assessment and Authorization (SA&A).
IT Infrastructure Support
- Provide operational infrastructure services that enable the collection of intelligence in order to advance CSIS' investigations.
- Create and sustain a centralized operational environment that offers high performance and high speed networks through the development of a core set of services of cost-effective, scalable and adaptive infrastructure.
- Maintenance, support and administration for elements in an Enterprise environment: Linux/Windows servers, virtualization technologies (VMware, OpenStack); storage technologies (Storage Area Network, Network Attached Storage, backups/restores); identity and access management (LDAP, Active Directory); web infrastructure.
Specialized Intelligence Collection Systems
- Validate the functionality of technical solutions to ensure the capabilities will be effective in an operational environment
- Provide/use/validate secure network infrastructure for technical solutions to be used operationally
- Investigate, troubleshoot and determine remedial action to issues reported by clients.
- Configure and deploy various solutions involving networking equipment, computers, software applications and tools
Embedded Systems Programming/Hardware
- Work with analog and digital electronic circuits and troubleshooting hardware/software/firmware within embedded systems.
- Assist with testing and evaluation of systems to ensure they meet their functional and operational requirements.
- Analyze test results and track issues resolution to ensure that systems can be successfully deployed operationally with high confidence.
- Experience with microcontroller architecture (Raspberry Pi, Arduino), embedded PC hardware or VME based single board computers, ARM architectures, CAD design tools (Solidworks), FPGA synthesis tools, CNC programming and circuit simulation software.
Quality Assurance and Testing
- Data assurance: Work with ensuring data quality in a processing system for collection, organization, filtering, triaging, and reporting of data types collected using various techniques on a big data system in a complex distributed, mission critical system.
- Assist with testing and evaluation of systems to ensure they meet their user requirements.
- Coordinate with development and operational teams to identify valuable tests and writing/developing new test cases and participate in continuous improvement testing.
- Analyze test results and track issues until resolution.
- Gain experience and exposure to tools and systems that directly support the collection, processing, storage, handling and safeguarding.
- Install, configure, monitor and support databases, performing database backups, restores/refreshes.
- Advise/assist developers in database design and queries best practices.
Specific to Co-op Program:
- Ability to Learn
Specific to Job:
- Problem Solving
- Analytical Skills
- Team Work
- Client Service
Conditions of Employment
Applicants must be recognized as having student status during their placement. Priority consideration will be given to those enrolled in an accredited co-op/internship program.
Applicants MUST include the following information in their cover letter:
- Location: Which region you are applying for? Please note you can only select one (1).
- Travel costs benefits may apply. Further information will be disclosed during the interview process.
- The majority of opportunities are in Ottawa. Some are available in our regional offices (see location above).
- Position: Which job category you are applying for: co-op placement, internship or student job?
- Field: Which field are you most interested in? Choose from the list in the experience section.
- Availability: What is the length of your term (4, 8, 12 or 16 months)?
- Studies: What is your current year of study and your expected graduation date?
Tips for your Cover Letter and Resume:
- Tell us your story: why do you want to work for CSIS?
- Work objectives.
- Technical abilities (where applicable).
- Volunteer or work Experience (where applicable).
- Projects (where applicable).
In addition, describe your current experience in the following (where applicable):
- programming and scripting languages - including type and duration of training (e.g. university, online or college courses), frequency and location of use.
- Business Process Management (BPM) solution development
- database administration
- information security
- infrastructure support
- data analytics
- software applications (e.g. versions and duration of use)
Failure to provide complete information may result in rejection of your application.
Various language requirements include:
- English Essential (EE/AE)
- Bilingual Non Imperative (BBB/BBB)
- Bilingual Imperative (BBB/BBB)
At CSIS, we are not looking to simply fill student placement positions every four months. Our program is designed to identify and develop potential full-time employees.
Candidates must be eligible to receive an Enhanced Top Secret security clearance. The process involves a security interview, a polygraph, and a background investigation that includes credit and financial verifications. The use of illegal drugs is a criminal offense. Drug use is an important factor considered in your reliability and suitability assessment during the selection process. Therefore it is important not to use any illegal drugs from the time you submit your application.
For more information, visit CSIS for Student Co-op: Computer Science / Engineering/ Information Technology