|Closing Date ||2022-03-02 |
|Reference Number ||20-968-09-053 |
|Job Category ||Experienced |
|Who Can Apply ||Canadian Citizens |
|Location ||Ottawa, Ontario |
|Salary Range ||$95,350 - $116,060 |
|Status ||Indeterminate (permanent) |
|Language Requirement ||Various |
Major responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the activities of the Unit by developing objectives, setting priorities and developing/implementing procedures.
- Supervise and mentor employees to ensure tasks are conducted in an efficient and effective manner. Promote initiative, provide feedback, and evaluate work performance.
- Financial management advisory services such as: financial resource planning, allocation processes and expenditure reviews by coordinating all financial forecasting and reviews of the region/branch.
- Monitor budget inputs, adjustments and expenses in the Service corporate financial management system.
- Act as a resource person by providing advice on financial issues to managers and liaising with stakeholders on policy interpretation and financial authority issues.
- Conduct a continuing review and evaluation of the program by recommending annual budget and resource requirements.
- Provide guidance to managers on budgets and planned expenditures.
- Ensure ongoing effective communication and working relationships between the unit and other Service regional and headquarters counterparts.
- Collect and analyze financial and non-financial data from multiple sources to develop and propose solutions/recommendations in support of sound decision making.
- Participate in internal or external working groups on major financial initiatives.
- Undergraduate degree with specialization in accounting, finance, business administration, commerce, management or economics;
- One of the following recognized professional accounting designations: Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified General Accountant (CGA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA) or Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA).
The educational program must be from an accredited learning institution recognized in Canada. If you completed a program outside of Canada you will be required to obtain proof of a Canadian equivalency at your expense through a recognized credential assessment service.
Note: Any higher level of education could be recognized as experience.
Two (2) years of recent experience (acquired within the last 5 years) in at least 2 of the following areas:
- Financial Planning and Analysis
- Corporate Budgeting
- Internal Controls
- Financial Management Advisor
- Financial Policy
- Financial Systems and Reporting
- Accounting Operations
Candidates must also possess:
- Experience in providing advice and making recommendations used by senior management to inform decisions.
- Experience preparing briefing materials, reports, and presentations for managers.
- Experience in a Finance role as an FI-02 or FI-03 in the Federal Public Service.
- Experience representing the organization in liaising with central agencies (TBS, Department of Finance, PCO).
- Experience developing costing models.
- Experience developing or playing a challenge function on Cabinet documents (TB Submissions, Memorandum to Cabinet, Federal Budget Submission).
- Experience in a formal or informal supervisory role.
- Experience providing financial support and advice for an operational program.
Evaluated during the written exam:
- Promote Innovation and Guide Change
Evaluated during the interview:
- Create Vision and Strategy
- Mobilize People
- Collaborate with Partners and Stakeholders
- Achieve Results
- Uphold Integrity and Respect
Conditions of Employment
- Upon appointment, an employee shall remain in the Branch or Region for a period of one year before any lateral movement outside of the Branch or Region.
While we continue to explore opportunities for flexible work arrangements, the majority of work in our organization must be done in the office and cannot be performed at home.
A written exam will be used as part of the overall assessment combined with the competency-based-interview.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Successful candidate may be eligible to the Financial Officer Retention Allowance once they have reached the maximum of their salary scale. The Financial Officer Retention Allowance for this position is paid at a rate of 5% of the employee's basic annual salary.
Candidates must be eligible to receive an Enhanced Top Secret security clearance. The process involves a security interview, a polygraph, and a background investigation that includes credit and financial verifications. The use of illegal drugs is a criminal offense. Drug use is an important factor considered in your reliability and suitability assessment during the selection process. Therefore it is important not to use any illegal drugs from the time you submit your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSIS. However, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For more information, visit CSIS for Head, Finance