|Closing Date ||2019-01-30 |
|Reference Number ||18- 968-08-119 |
|Job Category ||Experienced |
|Who Can Apply ||Canadian Citizens |
|Location ||Ottawa, Ontario |
|Salary Range ||$78,800 - $95,870 |
|Status || |
Indeterminate (permanent) or
Term - 1 year
|Language Requirement ||Various |
Key Responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership and advice on major assigned projects/plans/activities, budgetary and policy/procedural issues, including the acquisition, planning, development, implementation, documentation and evaluation needed for their completion.
- Research, evaluate and test new technologies, tools and procedures in order to support the development, evaluation, and planning of operational capabilities.
- Recommend future developments to maintain and improve intelligence gathering capabilities.
- Administer and resolve complex problems/issues/contracts by researching, analysing and providing advice, or liaising with other resources.
- Provide direct input for technical and operational plans in close consultation and cooperation with clients and colleagues.
- Prepare detailed documents on issues pertaining to branch projects by gathering information and data, conducting analysis and assessing technology gaps and opportunities.
- Provide training and support to clients and colleagues to maintain and improve technical capabilities.
- Assess information and provide operational support to meet managerial and operational requirements for plans, policies and budgetary needs.
- Liaise with government agencies both national and international in the exchange of information, techniques and/or analysis and develop and maintain contacts in various technologies and all related areas.
- Undergraduate degree and three (3) years of relevant experience.
- Technologist diploma or Professional technologist equivalency designation and four (4) years of relevant experience.
Fields of study: Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics, Network Security, Telecommunications or Engineering (only in the above mentioned fields).
The educational program must be from an accredited learning institution recognized in Canada.
Note: Any higher level of education could be recognized as experience.
Relevant experience is defined as recent experience in one or more of the following:
- Internet hosted infrastructure and protocols
- Wireless and Wi-Fi technologies
- Networking and Network Security
- Software Operating Systems (UNIX/Linux, Windows, iOS, Android)
Recent experience is defined as having worked directly with the technologies within the last five (5) years.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in analyzing requirements and providing advice and recommendations (written and oral) on technical matters to various audiences such as clients and management.
- In addition to the above, candidates must possess a minimum of one (1) year of experience per requirement in any three (3) of the following requirements:
- Experience in the evaluation, configuration, customization and integration of hardware and networks (operating systems, virtual machines, desktop machines and/or servers);
- Experience assessing security capabilities of technologies and vulnerabilities including setup, management and lockdown of Internet-hosted infrastructure (dedicated servers, Virtual Private Servers, Cloud technologies);
- Experience assessing, configuring and troubleshooting IP based network components (switches, routers, firewall, IDS/IPS, PSPs) and conducting Internet Protocol analysis;
- Experience in various Telecommunication Standards and Protocols (SIP, SS7, etc.);
- Experience in the design, verification and support of Telecommunication Networks (Wi-Fi, VoIP, LTE/VoLTE, ADSL/Cable);
- Experience in mobile device software (Android, iOS, etc.);
- Experience in writing advanced scripts (UNIX/LINUX, Mac OS, Windows and Virtualization);
- Experience troubleshooting software and/or hardware issues by analyzing log data.
Ideal candidates may bring experience in any of the following areas:
- Experience in directly supporting critical systems requiring high availability in accordance with industry standards.
- Experience eliciting, writing, and managing requirements; identifying acceptance criteria, analyzing business value and technical needs; and managing client relationships.
- Experience providing training on highly technical subject matter to non-technical audiences.
- Experience planning, preparing, and deploying technical solutions that enable the secure collection of information.
- Advanced knowledge in voice gateways (SIP and PRI) administration.
- Organizational Skills/Multitasking
- Problem Solving
Conditions of Employment
A written examination will be administered for the screening of candidates. The exam will be used to assess candidates' technical skills as they relate to the position.
Various language requirements:
- English Essential (EE/AE)
- Bilingual Imperative (BBB/BBB)
- Bilingual Non-Imperative (BBB/BBB)
For bilingual imperative positions, offers will be made to qualified candidates who meet the linguistic requirements. For bilingual non-imperative positions, offers will be conditional upon meeting the linguistic requirements within two (2) years of appointment.
This position is designated CS; therefore, the employee may be eligible for a terminable allowance of 7% of the annual salary.
Candidates must be eligible to receive an Enhanced Top Secret security clearance. The process involves a security interview, a polygraph, and a background investigation that includes credit and financial verifications. The use of illegal drugs is a criminal offense. Drug use is an important factor considered in your reliability and suitability assessment during the selection process. Therefore it is important not to use any illegal drugs from the time you submit your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSIS. However, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For more information, visit CSIS for Telecommunications Technologist