Cone And Seed Processing Supervisor
|Company||Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development|
|Job Category||Resource Sector|
|BC Public Service|
Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development
Cone and Seed Processing Supervisor
Join the Tree Seed Centre team and play a critical role in the preservation of BC’s magnificent forests
Salary $58,629.96 - $66,726.25 annually
The Forest Improvement and Research Management Branch’s [FIRM] mission is to protect, manage, and conserve British Columbia's forest genetic resources through excellence in cone and seed services, research, tree breeding, decision support, and client services. FIRM research guides the development of Ministry and private seed orchards and the Chief Forester’s Standards for Seed Use. FIRM manages five seed orchard sites, two research stations, and the Provincial Tree Seed Centre [TSC]. FIRM also manages information systems that track wild stand and orchard seedlots.
The Tree Seed Centre processes, tests, registers, stores, and distributes both private and public seed used for Crown land reforestation. The TSC also safeguards the provincial seed supply and ensures adequate genetic diversity of tree seed used for reforestation. As well as being a processing and research facility, the TSC serves as the provincial cone and seed repository for the purposes of reforestation as well as an ex situ gene conservation bank. The TSC is the only repository of its kind in BC, and due to the highly valuable nature of its inventory, the TSC has been designated as “Mission Critical”.
As the Cone & Seed Processing Supervisor, you are responsible for planning, conducting, assessing, documenting and reporting cone and seed processing activities. This role involves supervising technicians and coordinating and adapting to a wide variety of concurrent cone and seed production processes/treatments/environments with the goal of producing high quality seed. This role demands sound judgement, adaptability, and initiative while working in a co-operative team environment.
Qualifications for this role include:
• University degree or diploma in a related field such as forestry, natural resources, agriculture, botany or related sciences, plus a minimum of three years of related job experience*; or,
• Post-secondary education/training plus a minimum of five years of related job experience*; or,
• Seven years of direct, relevant experience working with tree seed.
* Related job experience includes [but is not limited to] working with tree seed and/or live botanical products.
• Minimum of two years of demonstrated supervisory responsibilities.
• Preference may be given for experience supervising within a unionized environment.
• Valid BC driver’s licence, forklift training certificate, level one first aid, or the ability to obtain these.
|Salary||$58,629.96 - $66,726.25 Annually|
|How To Apply||For more information and to apply by August 28, 2019, please go to:|