Associate, Development Writer-Diverse Communities
|Job Category||Creative Media and Writers|
|As an organization proud to have joined the BlackNorth Initiatives CEO pledge, we are energized by the opportunity to make further inroads with the Black community, the Indigenous community, and communities of colour broadly. The Associate, Development Writer will create and enhance communications tools to support fundraising initiatives and will seek out opportunities to elevate diverse voices. The Associate will ensure that the tools we use to motivate donors enable greater donor participation from diverse communities. As an integral member of the Brand Strategy and Communications team, they will work closely with our fundraising teams, other members of the Brand Strategy and Communications team, and key hospital contacts to further develop these tools in both print and digital formats and will provide expert writing advice, guidance, and service.|
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL:
• Help us identify opportunities to elevate diverse voices, represent a wide range of lived experiences, and audit our communications on a bi- annual basis to ensure we are a consistent driver of change toward greater diversity, equity, and inclusion;
• Serve as the in- house subject matter expert on a range of fundraising initiatives, organizational priorities, and hospital areas, including the Centre for Global Child Health, SickKids International, the BlackNorth Initiative, Sickle Cell Disease, and Social Determinants of Health Research among others;
• Compose and edit proposals, marketing briefs, impact reports and publications for specific donors and groups of donors in collaboration with fundraisers across all programs, including Major Gifts, Corporate and Community Partnerships, Digital and Direct Marketing, Special Events and Gift & Estate Planning;
• Directly liaise with appropriate hospital staff to obtain information on hospital fundraising priorities and data/ information to support development of cases for support and impact reports;
• Write and edit thank you letters and other donor relations communications;
• Help maintain an online archive of past proposals, impact reports, marketing briefs and other donor communications;
• Develop and implement proposal and other communications templates;
• Create, write, and edit content for e- newsletters, the Foundation website, and other digital channels;
• Provide assistance to fundraising teams regarding best approaches for timing, language, and format of communications to ensure we are inclusive and speaking to the communities we serve
|Education Requirements||• A bachelors degree (preferably in English, Journalism, History, Cultural Studies or related to a Communications discipline);|
• Lived experience enabling the incumbent to credibly represent the voice of the diverse communities that we serve, and the ability to adapt communications to a wide range of audiences;
• Experience speaking authentically to and with diverse communities;
• Previous experience in a position focused on communications or technical, digital or advancement writing
|Essential Skills||We’re looking for a passionate individual who is interested in moving the dial and making a difference. We are an environment that looks to attract hardworking and committed people, people who are looking to challenge themselves and grow with a globally recognized brand that continues to change the world. If this describes you, consider joining our team. We look forward to reviewing your application.|
|Experience||We value a unique perspective and encourage those who may have some of the following qualifications (but not all) and a proven desire to learn new skills to apply:|
• Superior writing skills and the ability to convey a compelling story, especially as it relates to healthcare and medical research;
• Excellent donor and stakeholder relations skills, with a strong sense of diplomacy;
• Advanced organizational skills, balancing day- to- day activities with competing demands and priorities;
• Understanding of or the capacity to build best practice in proposal, stewardship, and case for support development;
• Demonstrated facility with or exposure to Adobe suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Spark, and Illustrator;
• Experience with or a strong appreciation for web- based communications;
• Formal training or practical experience in project management; and
• Expertise in MS Office suite.
|Additional Skills||Thanks to our donors, in the fiscal year that ended March 31, 2021, SickKids Foundation raised over $170 million for child health, research, learning, and care. We’re winning, because every day we continue to fight, and we’re committed to attracting to our team other passionate individuals who will contribute to our goal of making every kid a healthy kid. It is within this context that SickKids Foundation welcomes applications for the role of Associate, Development Writer (Diverse Communities).|
SickKids Foundation is committed to its people – the talents, capabilities, and perspectives they bring to our mission. We live that commitment by being open and accessible to all, by valuing and respecting every individual and by equally supporting every employee. In our search for extraordinary talent, we uphold our commitment by inviting and encouraging individuals from diverse lived experiences, including those who are Black, Indigenous, and from communities of colour, as well as people with disabilities, LGBTQ2IA+ and all candidates who may contribute to the further diversification of the Foundation’s community.
|Other||ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:|
SickKids Foundation leads the fight for The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), one of the world’s foremost paediatric health- care institutions. Founded in 1972, SickKids Foundation is the largest charitable funder of child health research, learning and care in Canada. As a national charity, SickKids Foundation also invests in national and international initiatives to benefit children in Canada and around the world. Philanthropy is a critical source of funding for SickKids.
SickKids Foundation is committed to creating an inclusive culture where expressing our authentic selves is celebrated. This includes embedding diversity and inclusion in our policies, practices, and behaviours, to build skills, knowledge and awareness of diversity and inclusion across the Foundation and with our external partners. The Foundation is committed to fostering a safe, accessible, and positive working environment.
For further information on SickKids Foundations commitment to Diversity & Inclusion, Click here to read our Diversity & Inclusion Policy and Commitment statement.
TOTAL COMPENSATION PACKAGE:
To help you lead in the fight for kid's health and to support your health, wellness and career growth, in addition to competitive compensation, we offer a comprehensive flex benefit plan tuition reimbursement, flexible work arrangements, pension plan, and birth parent/ parental top up - to name a few!
|How To Apply||Please submit your cover letter and resume to by clicking Apply Now!|
POSITION STATUS: Permanent Full- Time Position
AVAILABLE TO: Internal and External Candidates
HOURS: 35 hours per week, flexible work arrangements are available including working remotely
DATE POSTED: May 17, 2021
DEADLINE: June 7, 2021
Candidates who require accommodation during the recruitment process should contact the Human Resources Department at: HR@sickkidsfoundation.com.